Which HP Laptop? AMD or Intel??

AryanStanley 18:30 27 May 2014

Hi all. I am thinking of buying a new laptop for university work and general use, and at the moment I quite fancy the HP Pavilion 15 (non-touch) series. I've had HP laptops before and am happy with them, and I currently have a maximum budget of £500 (though obviously the less the better).

The two I like the look of, which are similarly priced, have the following differences in configuration:

1. --Processor: AMD Quad-Core A10-4655M APU with Radeon HD 7620G Graphics (2 GHz, 4 MB cache) --RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 4 GB) HP Link, Laptop 1

2. --Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-4005U with Intel HD Graphics 4400 (1.7 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) --RAM: 6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 2 GB, 1 x 4 GB) HP Link, Laptop 2

Both are running Windows 8.1 64-bit and come with a 1TB HDD (though I'm going to replace it with a 128GB SSD and keep the HDD as an external).

I mainly want the machine for work, which includes multi-tasking with numerous software (Excel, SPSS, Word, internet browsing with multiple tabs), playing videos (either on the screen or via HDMI to a TV), and other internet use (e.g. Skype). I'm not fussed about gaming - while it would be nice, battery life is more of a priority to me.

So bearing in mind the differences in processing, which of these should I get? I don't think the 6GB/8GB difference in RAM is likely to make a noticeable difference, and while I have done a bit of research on which processor performs better, I would like to know your opinions in which is the option in terms of battery life, heat and power. Battery life is the priority so long as performance is also reasonable.

It should also be noted that the Intel unit IS slightly cheaper, so if there's very little difference between them I'll go for the AMD model.

Many thanks in advance,

Azz

AryanStanley 19:22 27 May 2014

Apologies, I just realised the second model was bundled with a load of other stuff and is in fact a much cheaper model. I have been confusing this with an i5 model I saw that is no longer available. I am unsure how to edit or delete the original post on this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone