Which Hard Drive

Bravo2Red 23:45 30 Jul 2008

Hello Guys,

I'm currently designing a PC and I wondered if you could help me chose which hard drive to use,
My requirements are:
1. High Speed
2. Large cache
3. Reliable
4. Good Quality
3. Low cost - it must be cheap but not bad quality cheap.

I don't mind terribly on size but i would like it to be in the 250GB - 500GB range/

Thanks For your help, Dan

PS. What do you think of this HD? click here

Bravo2Red 23:58 30 Jul 2008

Sorry I posted this twice.

Clapton is God 10:01 31 Jul 2008

"Sorry I posted this twice"

So tick one as resolved.

day2strike 10:27 31 Jul 2008
  The Kestrel 10:53 31 Jul 2008

Seagate/Maxtor hard drives always seem to get good reviews for both performance and reliability.

I am Spartacus 12:05 31 Jul 2008

Samsung F1s are getting excellent write ups for performance especially the 1TB version. However there are smaller and cheaper versions click here

GaT7 14:05 31 Jul 2008

Bravo2Red, I'd go for the one you linked to. If you need greater cache, it makes sense to go for a 500Gb or greater HD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
click here (Need UK sites? Please let us know).

If you want a 'faster' drive, it'll need to be a WD Raptor/VelociRaptor, but these are very expensive comparatively e.g. click here (I personally wouldn't recommended them because of the bloated cost & poor price-performance ratio).

There are even 'faster' SCSI drives that are rated at 15000rpm, but probably not worth the expensive/hassle, as in reality they're probably not that fast after all click here.

If you're not too fussed with size - i.e. just something for the OS - a 36Gb Raptor could be had from eBay for a relative bargain. G

P.S. I've read that those Samsung F1s are experiencing a high failure rate. Could be because they're selling a lot / a coincidence / a faulty design. Some people wouldn't touch Maxtor because they're supposed to fail more often than other drives. But I've had 4 & never experienced a problem. You get others who won't touch a certain brand because they've experienced a failure with it. The fact is that ALL hard drives fail at some point, & that's why it's so important to BACKUP regularly & NOT rely on any drive because they're supposed to be 'reliable' or whatever.

I am Spartacus 18:46 31 Jul 2008

My VelociRaptor is extremely fast in my new build but agree the cost/performance ratio is not good. The 2 x F1 Spinpoints I have are nearly as fast as the VelociRaptor:-(

I am Spartacus 18:48 31 Jul 2008

I've had a number of hard drive failures over the years and would particularly mention WD, Seagate and Maxtor as being prominent in those failures. At least the VelociRaptor has a 5 year warranty.

Bravo2Red 02:38 04 Aug 2008

Thanks for your help, I've decide to use click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone