which graphics card ?.

grs8653 09:30 15 Nov 2004

we have a pb imedia 5118, with win xp home sp2, intel pentium 4 1.6 ghz, 256 sdram, 40gb hard disk, nvidia mx400 graphic card.
my son wishes to change the graphic card so that he can play some of the latest games eg: c+ g, medal of honor.
he was thinking of getting a nvidia ge force fx 5200 or are there other alternatives that he should consider.
also would our current spec be able to handle the upgrade without having to upgrade anything else.

Arthur Scrimshaw 11:28 15 Nov 2004

Looking at you system - it's quite well balanced. This is good news - and bad, as upgrading one part probably won't have a dramatic effect on it's performance. If you want to play fairly current games with acceptable frame rates you really need to upgrade your cpu, memory and graphics card.
If you check out the minimum specs required to play MOH (for instance)your current pc actually exceeds them. However I suspect you will find the experience unsatisfactory and frustrating.
Sorry it's not better news - perhaps some else will have a different view?

fourjays 11:45 15 Nov 2004

I agree with Arthur.

BITS&BOBS 11:51 15 Nov 2004

Yes preety much the same view as Arthur Scrimshaw however i would spend the most you can affoard on a graphics card.

I have a

AMD 2500+ Barton

1GB PC2700 RAM

ASUS A7N8X-X MOBO

WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB 8MB B

6800 GT 256MB

Alot of people I tell my specs to go your mad and your bottlenecking your system, but hey with a score of 10,345+ in 3DMark03 i'm happy with my bottle neck.

You will need to get 256MB more RAM try here click here but spend the most you can on a graphics card as a p4 with 2.8ghz and 512mb with a FX5700 would be out performed by-far if your set up had 512mb and say a 9800Pro, yes you wont get the full potential out of the card but you would get more performance than upgarding the cpu and buying a slower cheaper card.

Have a good look here click here

I'd go minimum upgrade you RAM to 512mb and get the best card you can, unless you are going fx5900 or ati 9800 or above dont touch the 256mb cards as the cards below this only have 4 pixel piplines so the 256mb never gets to come into play and you would be better off putting that money towards a 8 pixel pipline card that can fill the screen with whats stored in the memory.

Here's a few cards worth a look :click here click here click here

HXP 23:29 16 Nov 2004

One thing to check if you do replace the graphics card is to make sure the motherboard supports the power requied by the new card - some of the new cards draw quite a high current. Some of the motherboards do limit the type of card you can fit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?