Which graphics card?

BILL ODDIE 11:11 09 Jul 2004

Going to buy a new desk top computer system for around £1500.00, don't want to advertise therefor no names. The spec of the system is as follows. A AMD processor, Athlon 64 3400+
Memory 1024MB DDR 400 (pc3200)
Graphic card 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro TV out/DVI

The computer would be used for digital photos and 3D colour mapping programs which eat up alot of memory etc. Would it be worth upgrading the graphics card to one of the following?

1. 128MB 9800 Pro All-in-wonder + £40.00

2. 256MB nVIDIA GeForce FX950 ultra-tv out+DVI +£75.00

3. 256MB ATI Radeon X800Pro-TV out+DVI +£95.00

My son likes game programs (so do I). At the price the system is I would like it to be future proof, if it helps by upgrading on one the above graphics card.

Kind regards Bill.

georgemac 11:27 09 Jul 2004

I would save the money for a years time when there will undoubtedly be better and faster graphics cards on the go, and upgrade it then.

rickimalone 11:30 09 Jul 2004

If your spending that amount of money an extra £95 would'nt hurt that much, and if you want the best the ATI X800 is where it's at.

Producing score's double that of the 9800 in 3DMark03 it's about as future proof you can get at the moment, the most powerful of the range being the X800 XT but the Pro will plenty powerful AND SOME.

rickimalone 11:32 09 Jul 2004

"I would save the money for a years time when there will undoubtedly be better and faster graphics cards on the go, and upgrade it then."

And the year after that a better one than that comes out, and so on and on and people stop buying and then the whole market for independent graphics cards fold's and were all left with integrated graphics.

2neat 12:25 09 Jul 2004

I have found a graphic card lasts until a game u like(eg Halo or Doom 3) comes along and your card suffers.
I recently got a rad 9800 pro and all games now are looking fantastic.

rickimalone 12:53 09 Jul 2004

rickimalone
I have found a graphic card lasts until a game u like(eg Halo or Doom 3) comes along and your card suffers. I recently got a rad 9800 pro and all games now are looking fantastic.

And point being? I have 9800XT and will not be changing for a few years yet not even for the X800, before this card I had a 9200 which still plays the majority of whats out but with detail and draw distance down.

I recommended that the post writer go for the X800 as it beats my 9800XT hands down with nearly double the 3DMark03 and is as future proof as you can get.

My responce was to, georgemac, who recommended the post writer to wait until next year for a better card, which in my view is not really an answer as the year after that a better card will come out again. The post was asking to recommended one of the three option's he has when buying a new PC and my suggestion was to pay the extra £95 and get the X800 as it will best meet the criteria he has given.

georgemac 17:19 09 Jul 2004

bill oddie asked "is it worth upgrading" to any of the 3 options. I simply posted my opinion that it would be better to save the money for a future upgrade - this is my opinion which I posted.

rickimalone has posted his opinion which is different to mine - no problem - the forum is all about opinions - the only person who can decide what is right here is bill oddie - it's his money

citadel 19:53 09 Jul 2004

As it takes a long time to create a game, years in some cases, graphics cards are always miles ahead with features capabilities.

Djohn 22:43 09 Jul 2004

As always there is something better/faster just round the corner waiting until you have just signed the dotted line and committed yourself to a purchase. The usual advice is buy the best you can afford now and don't worry, things improve all the time. Yes, they do but usually allow you 12-18 months of up-grade capability.

This time though I think there is room for a little caution. The 940 pin CPU from AMD has just been released [Even if you don't want it, the others will be cheaper in a few weeks]. We are also changing to the new motherboard form BTX (I think) which will require a new case and then there is the PCI graphics card. So there do seem to be a lot of changes coming through in the immediate future, might even be only a few weeks away.

Haven't got the best answer for you but I do think you need to consider the above carefully, I'd hate to buy at the end of a cycle life paying full price when the new equipment is hiding in the stockroom and what you just paid for will be reduced by a third of it's price within a few weeks of buying. :o(

rickimalone 23:52 09 Jul 2004

Well said georgemac, I hope that in no way my comments were taken the wrong way. I think we all have an eye on what's around the corner, maybe a little too much sometimes.

georgemac 06:34 10 Jul 2004

no rick, no problem, never took your comments the wrong way at all. Like I said we are all different with different opinions and views - thankfully, or the world will be a dull place. I'm maybe just a tight sod or a careful jock :-))

I'm not a gamer, unlike yourself and Bill Oddie and his son, so I will have a different opinion.

My son likes games (don't they all), and until recently only really used his ps2. I have stuck a geforce 4 ti 4200 with 128 mb of ddr ram in his pc (xp1800), and he has started to play ut2004 on it, and I was amazed how good the graphics were, even though the card does not support all the features of dx9, which is installed (9b I think).

He may start to use the pc more for games, although I'll need to stick in another hard drive (only 30gb), and probably eventually a new m/b, cpu & ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone