Which flatbed scanner for Vista

AlanHo 07:28 25 Apr 2007

I have an HP scanjet 4850 scanner only 18 months old. I have upgraded to Vista and have had to download new drivers from HP - but they only provide limited functionality and I have lost the use of some features.

I am therefore reluctantly looking for a new flatbed scanner for home use which is fully compatible with Vista. A4 size - film scanning a bonus.

Recommendations from owners of such products would be appreciated.

anskyber 10:09 25 Apr 2007

I have a Canon 5200F which has updated Vista drivers and it works fine. I think there are a number in the Canon range which work with Vista.

jack 10:46 25 Apr 2007

I might pay to address the question to the HP support site before spending out- a recent device should have full support.
Although there has been some press recently where some manufacturers say they will not rewrite stuff and have put the ball firmly back to MS

AlanHo 11:26 25 Apr 2007

I have checked HP and the story is that we must manage with the basic driver until they get round to producing a proper one that provides full scanner functionality. They give no clue when this might be.

I need a working scanner right now and cannot afford to wait an indeterminate amount of time - hence my question.

Thanks for your thought anyway - under normal circumstances I would wait - but this time I cannot.

It is notable that Canon hae got their Vista house in order - but HP have not.

geot1 22:02 20 Oct 2007

I have a Canoscan 4400F and finally managed to load the driver, but it provides minimal functionality. All buttons activate a lengthy photo scan process apparently provided by Adobe (heavy-handed promotion included). When I hit "Copy", I usually just want to print a copy of a document, not spend 15 minutes adjusting a photo.

AlanHo 22:10 20 Oct 2007

I resolved my problem eventually by buying an HP G3010 which works fine on Vista. However - the bundled OCR programme is not nearly as good as the one with my first HP scanner. I have not been able to get the new scanner to work amicably with the old OCR programme. Hence I have taken two steps forwards and one back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?