which digital camera?

SteevScotland 16:14 11 Mar 2003

I am inable to decide between these two cameras.

Canon Powershot a40 click here

Canon Digital Ixus V2 click here

Has anyone used either of the se cameras? What are their good points and bad points? How many pics can each store in the middle setting ect..?

Thanks for your help!!

Cheers S

davidg_richmond 16:48 11 Mar 2003

powershot a40 is basically a bigger version of the ixus v2, although it can use lens adapters like wide angle, telephoto, etc that the v2 can't. i have a v3 and very happy with it, nice and portable (fits into a pocket so well ive taken it clubbing!). a40 lets you use AA batteries (4 i think) which weigh it down but also means you can easily carry spares whereas v2 uses lithium rechargeable, which ive found lasts ages but not as handy as buying AAs when you're on the move.

both will take roughly the same number of photos. to get the best you should put it on top setting, which will get you about 17-19 shots on a 16Mb card. i bought a 128Mb card (£50 now on the high street, even cheaper on the net) so i can fit on loads of snaps and 10-20 mins of movie footage.

SteevScotland 17:30 11 Mar 2003

Thanks a lot. At the moment I'm leaning towards the v2 because of its size.

Cheers S

anchor 19:53 11 Mar 2003

Have you read the PCA review of the V2.

click here

ripvan 21:59 11 Mar 2003

I have the original ixsusV 2 meg camera and can't fault it.It comes with all leads(even one to look at pics direct on your tv) and good software it is metal bodied and fits into your top pocket no probs.The advantage of the lithium ion battery is that you don't have to discharge it every so often as they don't have a memory,just recharge it.I use it on best quality and take 64 1meg pics on a 64 card,even 128 meg cards now only cost about £40.7dayshop.com do a non-canon spare battery for only £14 which is not much more than 4 good nicads.For top reviews have a look at click here try click here and their qimagepro software whatever you get,it is very good.

marjted 23:20 11 Mar 2003

Have a look here for detailed reviews on all cameras
click here

anchor 16:43 12 Mar 2003

marjted

Sorry, your link does not work, but this one does.

click here

SteevScotland 19:37 24 Mar 2003

Another camera I quite fancy is the powershot A70

click here

Can anyonw who has either of the three cameras send me some sample pics? I could then compaire them and decide whether to go for small size or better specs.

Cheers S

anchor 20:22 24 Mar 2003

Have a look here; many cameras reviewed in depth, including sample pictures.

click here

The A70 looks good!.

SteevScotland 20:34 24 Mar 2003

on the site that anchor mentioned what is the Americans namw for the ixus v2?

Cheers S

Como2 21:13 24 Mar 2003

Also look at click here for specifications and reveiws

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone