Which desktop should i be choosing?

Spoony07 03:11 20 Sep 2007

Hello,

I am currently having a couple of issues regarding my current computer, So i have thought about getting a new one instead of upgrading my current one. If possible could anyone help me out with the following two i will forward =)

I have narrowed my options down to two options,

click here

Features:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core QX6600 Processor (2.4GHz,1066MHz,8MB cache)
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
Video Card: DUAL SLI 256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS graphics cards
Memory: 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
Hard Drives: 640GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x320GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
Optical: 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
Floppy Drives and Additional Storage Devices: Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader
Sound Cards: Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Music PCI Soundcard
+ It has Dells own Thermal Engineering cooling system which seems too complex for me to really understand =P.

The competition will come from a custom built Desktop via a company: click here

Features:

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 (4 X 2.40GHz) 1066MHz FSB/8MB L2 Cache
Memory (RAM): 2048 MB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
Motherboard: ASUS® P5N32-E SLI+: Quad-core CPU Ready, NVIDIA® Dual X16 SLI
Operating System: WINDOWS® VISTA Home Premium (inc Genuine CD & License)
Hard Drive: 160GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CD/DVD Drive: 20x DVD±RW/RAM/Dual Layer + Lightscribe (48 x CD-RW)
Graphics Card: 640MB GEFORCE 8800GTS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
Sound Card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio 7.1
Power Supply & Case Cooling: 700W Quiet Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling: ASUS SILENT KNIGHT II PURE COPPER ULTRA COOLER

I'd like to state the diffrence in price between the two only is between £25-60 (GBP) so price should not be a issue, I'd just like to know which would be the wiser choice of the two?

Thankyou for reading

Adios.

C3 05:36 20 Sep 2007

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other!

If you are going to be gaming, then the 2nd one would probably be a better bet as the GF8800 is a much better card than the GF8600.
The RAID 0 setup on the first computer is good for gaming too, but you could always buy a 2nd hard drive and run RAID 0 then.
2nd one wins with giving you a proper Win Vista CD. If the licence is a full one (not an OEM one) then that'll be useful in the future.

Personally, after mulling it over, I would go for the second one and add a large hard drive for extra storage.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other!

If you are going to be gaming, then the 2nd one would probably be a better bet as the GF8800 is a much better card than the GF8600.
The RAID 0 setup on the first computer is good for gaming too, but you could always buy a 2nd hard drive and run RAID 0 then.
2nd one wins with giving you a proper Win Vista CD. If the licence is a full one (not an OEM one) then that'll be useful in the future.

Personally, after mulling it over, I would go for the second one and add a large hard drive for extra storage.

Arrgh, double post. Sorry. I swear I only clicked once...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?