Which CPU?

scott clews 05:44 24 Jan 2008

Basically I have decided I am going to build my own computer because no computer I have seen yet has offered the performance I want for the right price and I was wondering if I could get some views on CPU's. The computer I wish to build will be primarily used for gaming.

I am looking to buy an AMD CPU but aren't quite sure which is worth the money. I have looked at Athlon, Opteron and Phenom CPU's.

So far I have found:-

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
click here

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5600+
click here

AMD Opteron (2214) Dual-Core
click here

AMD Phenom 9500
click here

scott clews 05:59 24 Jan 2008

AM2 Athlon 64 Dual Core 6400
click here(30151)AMD-CPU-AM2-Athlon-64-Dual-Core-6400-Retail.aspx

Just found this one as well is it any better?

scott clews 06:05 24 Jan 2008

Sorry that link didnt work
click here

martytoon 12:12 24 Jan 2008

Hi Scott,

I'm also looking at building my own PC. From the reviews I've read, the Intel Core 2 Duo's appear to be the best bet in terms of performance & cost. Interestingly, Intel have just refreshed the range and there is a detailed review here. click here

For an idea of prices, try here click here

I've always bought AMD based PCs but it does appear that Intel currently have a significant lead of them at the moment.

keef66 12:56 24 Jan 2008

If it's just for gaming I'd go for a Core 2 Duo E6750 or E6850

Totally-braindead 14:34 24 Jan 2008

I have to point out that building a complete PC will be more expensive than buying a prebuilt system as the companies that build can source the parts much cheaper than you or I can.
Not trying to put you off but unless you already have a lot of the bits its cheaper to buy a prebuilt PC.
I built mine but its something I enjoy and I had my old PC to steal bits off.

keef66 14:58 24 Jan 2008

absolutely correct! I spent hours shopping around the interweb for cheapest prices for all the components I'd planned to use in a self-build, only to find my local pc shop offering a near identical spec base unit for £90 less.

Problem is, I'd still really like to build my own.

interzone55 16:58 24 Jan 2008

Another problem with self-building is that you will only have sufficient parts to build one PC, if any of those components are faulty you will be scratching your head for a long time finding out which bit is faulty.

Then when you do identify it you can die of old age waiting for the computer shop to replace or refund it.

Best to buy a PC from one of the advertisers in PCA, it may work out cheaper, but it's definitely easier.

That is unless you want to build the PC and don't care that it's going to work out dearer.
It's very satisfying using something that you've built yourself. and you will become your own tech support department

tigertop2 17:45 24 Jan 2008

Whilst the others are right about buying a PC being cheaper it is great to build your own.

I have now built 4 just for the fun of it having never even seen inside a PC until a year ago.

Get a good DIY PC manual like the 'Haynes build your own PC' because Alan 14 is absolutely right in saying you become your own tech support dept--and will save money on that for sure.

The Intel is good but I am an AMD fan who believes AMD is going to be a real competitor again sooner than some might think-and it is currently a cheaper option generally.

scott clews 17:55 24 Jan 2008

I have been told that AMD processors are better for gaming and are somewhat cheaper. I have just looked at prices on Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 and E6850 and that is a lot of money. I did notice however though for an extra £40 that I could get an extra 2MB of L2 cache. How does this affect the performance of the computer and also are the motherboards for AMD or Intel cheaper?

citadel 18:32 24 Jan 2008

you pay all prices for motherboards depending on what features you want. amd were better for gaming before the core 2 duo and quad came out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?