Which Camcorder Format?

Dellman 18:24 28 Aug 2006

My present Panasonic Mini DV Camcorder needs to be replaced. I currently upload (Via Firewire) from Camcorder to PC so that I can edit films and then burn onto DVD.

What is best Camcorder format I should get for editing film in this manner:

> Mini DV
> DVD
> HDD

Any advice gratefully received. Any particular camcorder models I should go for?

alex22 18:44 28 Aug 2006

dvd is best so you dont have to plug into computer to burn it.

De Marcus™ 19:09 28 Aug 2006

Mini DV is still the dominant format, probably because there's no compression involved in the recording format, so higher quality video.

Jonathan314159 21:23 28 Aug 2006

I'll be sticking with miniDV for a while. I would rarely inflict an unedited film of mine onto anyone, so the "benefit" of being able to put the DVD straight into a DVD player doesn't do much for me.

My main worry with DVD is the fragility of the discs - ie I have burned DVDs in the past only to find a year or two later that they are unplayable - they can get easily scratched or otherwise damaged. As far as I am aware, MiniDV tape is far more robust. Even if a section of it gets damaged you can still play the remainder of the tape.

The other reason for using miniDV is the uncompressed format, which makes it easier to edit. Have to admit, I haven't tried editing the compressed formats of DVD or HDD, so I don't know how much harder it is.

When I upgrade I would be looking at whether to go for high definition.

Dellman 21:59 28 Aug 2006

Any views regarding models to go for?

Anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?