Which budget laptop for Photoshop?

pottolom 10:57 30 Jun 2014

Hello.

I am currently using a five-year-old el-cheapo Packard Bell ixtreme M3720 desktop PC (Windows Experience Index 2.9, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM, Windows 7). I mainly use it for photo editing (I'm an amateur photographer) and web browsing. I don't play computer games.

We've recently had our first baby and the spare room is being converted into the nursery, so it's time to pack away (or sell) the desktop and buy a laptop.

The thing is, I've looked online, and it seems the market has really diversified in recent years, and I'm having trouble making sense of it all. I need the following specs:

• 15" and above screen of reasonably decent quality for photo editing. I'm using a cheap Packard Bell monitor at the moment, though, and I find that fine for my purposes;
  • Something that will be able to handle Photoshop CS6. My desktop does the job admirably;
  • Preferably reasonably portable so I can take it out and about.

That's all I'm after really. However, my budget is £400, and here's where I run into difficulty. It seems a lot of the budget laptops are only really designed for web browsing. However, some of the less flashy-looking ones do look as though they'd fit the bill, but there's so much choice, I don't know which to plump for!

Does anyone have any recommendations for what they'd go for if they were in my position. And yes, I know my budget is limited, but we've just had a baby :)

john bunyan 13:04 30 Jun 2014

I have CS5 on a desktop and a laptop. The minimum specification is here:

Photoshop CS6

I think the best you can afford within that spec, but I would keep enough for a mouse, and at least one USB HD for back up. I like Toshiba as a brand and John Lewis as a retailer (2 years guarantee) Maybe cosider keeping your monitor?

john bunyan 15:55 30 Jun 2014

This seems a bargain Toshiba Satellite L50-B-1DU Laptop, Intel Core i3, 6GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6", Red

J Lewis

(3 year guarantee!)

john bunyan 16:00 30 Jun 2014

PS at £330 should lave enough for one or two USB HD's (about £55 each for 1Tb) and a mouse.

john bunyan 17:25 02 Jul 2014

Any response?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?