Which Bridge Camera?

john bunyan 17:13 19 Dec 2010

I rarely use my old film Nikon F90. Lenses up to 300mm but very heavy.I cannot justify a digital like for like (D90) at well over £1000 and still problems with heavy lenses, so am considering a "super zoom". I have short list of 4 : Fujifilm HS10; Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ 45 Ditto FZ100 and the Nikon P100. The latter seems to have a strange battery system and I undersand slightly worse picture quality. I would like to have the ability to use RAW (do they all have this?), as I have Photoshop CS5. Use - general plus amateur nature shots of wildlife.I slightly prefer the FZ45 but would be grateful for comments.Video useful but less important.

Forum Editor 17:40 19 Dec 2010

I have a Lumix DMC TZ7, and it's a stunning camera. I use a Canon Digital SLR for situations where wight isn't an issue, but earlier this year I was involved in an extended Australian trip which involved a period up on the Barrier reef, and I wanted something light and easily portable, yet a camera that would take reasonably high quality images.

The result of a fair bit of research was the Lumix, and I haven't regretted it once. In fact I rarely find myself picking up the great lump that is my SLR and 300mm lens.

click here for a full run-down.

john bunyan 17:46 19 Dec 2010

Thanks. My wife has a compact Lumix and is very pleased with it, and I believe the lenses are Leica? I will keep the FZ45 or 100 at the top of my list unless someone comes up with a better idea.

961 17:46 19 Dec 2010

I'd go for Lumix as well

The lens is top notch and the camera works well and produces great results

With SLR I always needed another lens or it wasn't light enough to produce good results for distance photography

My Lumix does the business

961 17:52 19 Dec 2010

Mine is

click here

I did initially try TZ7 but found that I couldn't get away without a viewfinder especially in bright sunlight

The FZ45 is by no means pocket size but is smaller than many SLR and, of course, you don't need all those extra lenses etc

OTT_B 17:52 19 Dec 2010

I've got a Panasonic FZ18 (outdated now), which I sometimes use in place of my SLR, for very much the same reasons as the FE. But it is an excellent camera when you consider the cost.

john bunyan 18:00 19 Dec 2010

Thanks also. Would just like to hear from a Fuji HS10 user if possible, but Lumix is the front runner.

GaT7 18:11 19 Dec 2010

The Panasonic FZ45 looks a beauty! G

Forum Editor 18:46 19 Dec 2010

I agree about the viewfinder,the lack of one was a problem in very bright sunlight, and if I was buying now I would definitely go for the FZ45.

polish 19:32 19 Dec 2010

i use a fuji s6500 although only 6 million mega pixels takes excellent pictures this camera has been replaced but i dont think i could get anything much better without spending alot of money

Al94 20:38 19 Dec 2010

I have one of these and it's fantastic, 35x optical zoom, wildlife shots I have captured are incredible click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?