Which is the better system, value for money?

dreamer 20:57 18 Mar 2006

This at £1052 delivered (Dell):

Intel® Viiv™ technology -Intel® Pentium® D 930 Dual Core(3.00GHz,800MHz,2x2MB)
Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Memory 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz (2x512)
Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
Dell 19" UltraSharp™ Digital/Analogue High Quality Flat Panel for crystal clear images (1907FP)
256MB nVidia GeForce 6800 (DVI/VGA/TV-out)
320GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x160GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader & 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Dell v92 Data/Fax modem
CD/DVD Drives 16x DVD+/-RW and 48-32x CDRW
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music card,PCI w/Dolby Digital,7.1 speaker surround and THX certification
Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speaker System

or this at £1098 delivered (Mesh):

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+ with HT Tech.
Windows® XP Home Edition
ASUS A8N-E - Nforce 4 PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
1024MB DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (2x512)
300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
16x DVD-ROM Drive (40x CD-ROM)
256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT - TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
19" Viewsonic VA1912W Digital & Multi Media Widescreen TFT Display
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music Sound Card
Creative Labs T6060 - 5.1 Surround with Subwoofer
Logitech Desktop Keyboard & Optical Mouse
1.44MB - 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive

Interested in any and all views on kit and suppliers. Thanks.

SG Atlantis® 21:27 18 Mar 2006

the mesh for me.

Haven't bought from either of them but value for spec; the mesh has it.

Starfox 21:30 18 Mar 2006

Mesh,it has better specs.

Dellman 21:54 18 Mar 2006

I bought 2 PCs from Mesh 18 months ago....they're still going strong!!

rmcqua 22:06 18 Mar 2006

The Mesh machine definitely, but before you decide, make sure that you read any recent correspondence in these forums regarding either of these manufacturers and their after-sales/customer support.

skidzy 19:02 20 Mar 2006

Very good posting rmcqua....
I was recently going to buy a Mesh,but after reading several postings regarding Mesh after sales service,i decided not to bother.(still looking)...It seems pretty sad that Davey from Mesh has to bail out the company by appearing on these forums as no solution can be found within the Mesh aftersales team.

Dreamer... If i was you,i would do your research through forums like this first before buying.

It certainly has helped me decide.

dreamer 21:20 20 Mar 2006

This is the email that I sent to Mesh this morning - and no response so I guess my mind is made up:

"I am in the market for a new PC with a budget of £1000-1200.
I've checked magazines, web sites etc and configured systems with various potential suppliers.

Mesh are in there with a chance - BUT on checking various online forums I am appalled to find the level of after-sales support you offer to people, who have bought your kit and then have problems, can be so woefully inadequate. After-sales service is so important in a commercial relationship that I am currently loath to place an order with you in case I suffer a 'rogue' machine. Do yourselves not monitor these forums in order to see how your service is perceived? Is there any defence you can offer so that I could with confidence place an order with Mesh - or should I just go on current instinct and place my order with one of your competitors? (Dell, Evesham etc.)
Your web site and machine specs all look 'the business' but I am considerably unnerved at the moment - what can you state/promise in your defence to allow me to alter my mind?

Await with interest your reply - and if you can't be bothered to reply, then there will be no decision to be made.... "

Was sent to their Sales, Technical Services, Customer Services and the Gen. Manager - and zilch response. Another lost customer.

SG Atlantis® 22:11 20 Mar 2006

dreamer, think about how many machines these people sell. The odds of getting a cracking, faultless machine is in your favour. Give them a wee while to reply too, think how many mails they get...

Also, the happpy customer will go away with the goods and carry on with their business, it's only the ones with faults you hear of. If every happy sales success was to post here, the site wouldn't cope with the volume of threads!!!

ps, All companies will produce a % of duff machines.

Woolwell 22:53 20 Mar 2006

SG Atlantis - It is how they deal with the % of duff systems that makes the difference. I have bought 6 systems from Dell over the past 5 years and attempted to buy a sixth (not all for me). The first 5 were no trouble at all. The fifth was difficult to order but arrived in excellent condition. The sixth has been a nightmare and I am still waiting for a refund which should be through at the end of this week. Dell have their customer service in India (or somewhere like it) and you can never get the same person and you have to go through the whole story again and often get a different answer. Up to a fortnight ago I was very happy with Dell because I hadn't had any problems. Many don't have problems with Dell. But I have now gone for Evesham. Echoing rmcqua - read the forums.

MESH Support 10:44 22 Mar 2006

I received your email however I found it during a routine sweep through my Junk Email box (I'm a techie and I do not, and will never, trust any form of automatic junk filtering!). I am not sure why it was in there as I cannot that it matches any typical criteria. The vaguest reason I can think of was that it was from a hotmail account, source of our greatest amount of genuine junk. I'd imagine that the sales department aren't even aware that you have emailed them in all honesty.

Anyway, I emailed you this information along with my reply yesterday morning.

Sad to see that our loss is another companies gain but if I could offer a slight recommendation, consider finding out *why* a company has not responded before making assumptions.

Davey

Dellman 11:14 22 Mar 2006

...good ol' Davey!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?