which anti-virus/firewall ?

Robin0759 16:45 25 Feb 2005

My Norton anti-virus and firewall software is due for renewal !

What is the latest concencus of opinion, regarding who is giving the best service in these areas?

Belatucadrus 17:52 25 Feb 2005
  Starfox 18:03 25 Feb 2005

Anti virus click here and click here

Firewall click here

Full list click here

Diodorus Siculus 18:05 25 Feb 2005

Trawling through all the previous threads is one way of doing it...

I like Avast Free from Avast.com and Sygate personal free from sygate.com

blanco 18:24 25 Feb 2005

Out of interest in the last issue of Which the Zone Alarm double came out tops.

freaky 18:43 25 Feb 2005

I personally, provided you have found Norton satisfactory to date, would recommend that you do not renew your subscription, but buy the latest version of Norton Internet Security.

It is a very good package i.e. Firewall, AVI and AntiSpam. Been using it for some years now and find it excellent all round.

I know you can get free downloads of Firewalls and AVI. But they do not necessarily work well together because they are from different suppliers, and can cause conflicts in operation.

Whereas Norton is an integrated package this problem would not arise.

JayDay 18:45 25 Feb 2005

For me I prefer Avast AntiVirus (email configuration and updating was better than AVG) and Zonealarm for my firewall.

Whatever you decide don't pay a penny. There is no need. Plenty of free stuff available

kinger 22:21 25 Feb 2005

Trend Micro is the easiest to use and won an award in PC Magazine for finding more viruses than any other software in the review.

It's called PC Cillin' and contains protection by way of a firewall and anti-virus.

It updates automatically for ease of use.

maz2 23:22 26 Feb 2005

I also use Trend Micro and have done for 2 years with no problem, it's an all in one package with very regular updates also very handy if you have a home or wireless network as it will automatically detect the other computer on the network for you

smy13 19:27 02 Mar 2005

ttp://click here

Sans le Sou 12:08 03 Mar 2005

April edition of PC Pro(126) has Panda Platinum internet security 2005 on it, with 6 months updates. May tide you over until you decide on any others if you do not continue with Panda.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?