Which anti-virus shall i buy?

Mary_S 15:34 24 Dec 2009

Hi there,
Im sure this frequently gets discussed but i need some advice on what anti-virus software to get. My norton 360 subscription expires in two days and i was looking to possibly renewing it. I like it becuase it has firewall and anti-virus in one.
So good idea or shall i get something else?

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:38 24 Dec 2009

If you are a home user there is no earthly reason to pay for protection.

Use windows firewall \9it does come with windows and is excellent, Avast free AV click here and a good idea to is to have Spyware Terminator running in the background click here. You will need a little common sense because no AV or anti-spy programme will protect you if you inadvertently give permission for a programme to run.

G

Mary_S 15:42 24 Dec 2009

Hey thanks. I dont mind paying for security. I had problems in the past with viruses and for me £60 is a small price if it keeps my pc running smootrhly. So is avast better then norton irrespective of the price?

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:44 24 Dec 2009

100 million users trust Avast (including many on this forum) so I'm guessing that it must be good.

G

Mary_S 15:50 24 Dec 2009

IS avast better then avg? What about zone alarm firewall , ne good?

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:11 24 Dec 2009

It is like asking 'how long is a piece of string'. If you do not use common sense, it will be irrelevant how good an AV is. Windows firewall is more than adequate and as to which is the best AV..there is no definitive answer and different labs give different results but 100 million people should kind of sway you towards Avast. The net is not 'full of nasties' at every turn as some completely paranoid sites would have you believe.

There is no use faffing around trying to decide which is better as you will get 100 different opinions, choose AVG or Avast and you will be more than safe unless you are going to hammer the Pr0n sites constantly.

G

Mary_S 16:18 24 Dec 2009

Thanks for your advice. I am always a bit paranoid when it comes to secuirty as a few years ago i spent 1700 on a pc, went online for the first time without any secuity installed and within 10 mins had a virus which was shutting of my computer.

Input Overload 16:23 24 Dec 2009

I use Eset myself but for people who want free I'm impressed with the recent 'Comodo Internet Security' derivatives which is free & has one of the best firewalls going, should you feel the world is after your pictures of Skegness last June.

But as G says, common sense should prevail, the PC's i have to de-louse after people click on 'Surprise! you have just won 20 billion Dollars' - Click here.

If you want an infection download cracked programs and visit pron sites, oh & free music.

(I still don't think he is a real wizard)

Binnacle 17:07 24 Dec 2009

Have a look at Norton Internet security 2010.I have used it since it came out. It is very unobtrusive and does all that is required . Have a look at Amazon , they are doing an offer at the moment, at about £23. This is for one user and three computers.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:08 24 Dec 2009

ps...the money that you save could be put towards a copy of Acronis Disk Image, which will of much more use one day.

G

Pamy 17:21 24 Dec 2009

Mary_S, go with Gandalf , or free AVG. Use common sence when on the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017