Which of 2 laptops

john bunyan 12:26 08 Jun 2010

I am a non gamer; I have a desktop with W7, Media Centre and do photogaphy (PS CS4) on that. My wife wants a new laptop for general use and I have a short list of 2 at similar prices: My preference is for the Toshiba Satellite L650-10G; the other possibility is the Sony Vaio EA1 S1E. My local repair shop "likes" Toshiba and Asus , I could not readily find an Asus (not Acer) with a similar spec. Has anyone any suggestions or views on these?

john bunyan 22:04 08 Jun 2010

Anyone with views?

birdface 10:44 09 Jun 2010

Sorry not got a clue as to which is best but I would have thought that you would have had some sort of response from those that know.
I suppose it may be toss the coin time.
Best of luck i hope that you get some good advice.

john bunyan 11:15 09 Jun 2010

Thanks for the reply! There seems to be a temporary shortage of experts on this! PS saw "Coast" on BBC - featured Arran but, sadly, not Bute - one of my favourite spots in UK.

birdface 11:32 09 Jun 2010

Yes watch Coast now and again myself but only if I can pry the remote from the wifes tight grip of it.
Some lovely scenery that way and with a bit of luck will be able to give it my usual quick visit next month.

Ford Prefect 01 14:09 09 Jun 2010

I've only had experience of Toshiba and HP, however in your shoes I would go with the Tosh as when ours have had a problem it has always been sorted pronto.

sunnystaines 14:12 09 Jun 2010

we have a sony laptop good build, reliable. but parts very expensive and sony support poor.

john bunyan 18:34 09 Jun 2010

Thanks Ford Prefect 01 and sunnystaines. My front runner is the Toshiba as my repair shop says he finds them easier than some.The Sony looks nice, but I take the point re service.

sunnystaines 19:33 09 Jun 2010

i think you have made the right choice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?