Which of 2 laptops

john bunyan 12:26 08 Jun 2010

I am a non gamer; I have a desktop with W7, Media Centre and do photogaphy (PS CS4) on that. My wife wants a new laptop for general use and I have a short list of 2 at similar prices: My preference is for the Toshiba Satellite L650-10G; the other possibility is the Sony Vaio EA1 S1E. My local repair shop "likes" Toshiba and Asus , I could not readily find an Asus (not Acer) with a similar spec. Has anyone any suggestions or views on these?

john bunyan 22:04 08 Jun 2010

Anyone with views?

birdface 10:44 09 Jun 2010

Sorry not got a clue as to which is best but I would have thought that you would have had some sort of response from those that know.
I suppose it may be toss the coin time.
Best of luck i hope that you get some good advice.

john bunyan 11:15 09 Jun 2010

Thanks for the reply! There seems to be a temporary shortage of experts on this! PS saw "Coast" on BBC - featured Arran but, sadly, not Bute - one of my favourite spots in UK.

birdface 11:32 09 Jun 2010

Yes watch Coast now and again myself but only if I can pry the remote from the wifes tight grip of it.
Some lovely scenery that way and with a bit of luck will be able to give it my usual quick visit next month.

Ford Prefect 01 14:09 09 Jun 2010

I've only had experience of Toshiba and HP, however in your shoes I would go with the Tosh as when ours have had a problem it has always been sorted pronto.

sunnystaines 14:12 09 Jun 2010

we have a sony laptop good build, reliable. but parts very expensive and sony support poor.

john bunyan 18:34 09 Jun 2010

Thanks Ford Prefect 01 and sunnystaines. My front runner is the Toshiba as my repair shop says he finds them easier than some.The Sony looks nice, but I take the point re service.

sunnystaines 19:33 09 Jun 2010

i think you have made the right choice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017