Where does the word 'firewall' come from?

  BigMoFoT 10:19 22 May 2003

Does anyone know where the word 'firewall' comes from in terms of computing? It's the fire part that's confusin me?

  -pops- 11:37 22 May 2003

Or firewire?

Or Bluetooth?

Or dongle?

Or any number of totally meaningless (to most of us mortals) words and phrases?<;-))


  jeez 11:53 22 May 2003

wall of fire - nothing can pass through? but bluetooth? probably the name of the scientists cat or something. Dongle??? I thought that was something between your legs??

  Patr100 11:59 22 May 2003

I imagine it comes from the construction industry in the same way that a "firedoor" tries to prevent the spread of fire from one room to another a firewall tries to do the same with data but only allows that data that you intend to enter and leave.

Bluetooth (meaning dark complexion) is named after a Danish King from around 910AD who "united Denmarka and Norway" - whether he did this using wireless technology is debatable -

  mole44 12:22 22 May 2003

i work in the motor industry,a fire wall is the part of the car between the engine compartment and the part where you all sit

  fitshase 12:31 22 May 2003

It's like TWAIN - Technology Without An Interesting Name.


  BigMoFoT 13:59 22 May 2003

TWAIN does not mean that - it's a hoax

  fitshase 15:23 22 May 2003

I know - I was only kidding!

I think that computer component/software writers should come up with more unusual names - or at least some daft ones to show they have a sense of humour!

More Dongles and the like I say!


  steven_frost 17:00 22 May 2003

So what does TWAIN mean then ??????

  Falkyrn 17:25 22 May 2003

TWAIN was an acronym developed playfully from "technology without an important name." However, the TWAIN Working Group says that after the name chosen originally turned out to be already trademarked, an 11th hour meeting of the group came up with TWAIN, deriving it from the saying "Ne'er the twain shall meet," because the program sits between the driver and the application. The name is not intended to be an acronym.

supplied by click here

  jazzypop 18:56 22 May 2003

A fire wall is a type of wall that is designed to prevent a fire on one side of the wall from passing to the other side. This may be between two neighbouring houses (ever wondered why the dividing wall in terraced houses continues through the roof, not just up to it?), or to separate the hazardous process area in a factory from the non-hazardous area, and so on.

By analogy, a computer firewall provides a total barrier between two sides of a network, typically the inner, private, LAN, and the wider WAN or Internet. It therefore acts similar to a fire wall - keeping the occupants on one side safe from the harm that can exist on the other side.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?