Where to buy Acer Travelmate

Christopher Lewis 11:24 29 Oct 2006

I'm thinking of buying an Acer Travelmate 2428.
The price is much the same from Laptops Direct, Shop Acer, or eBuyer.
I have two concerns - Dead Pixels and the reported poor Acer repair/customer service. Laptops Direct and Shop Acer offer a pre-delivery check for an additional £40. Is this worth the money?

Christopher

Diodorus Siculus 12:07 29 Oct 2006

I've not seen a laptop with dead pixels for years and I do see a lot of laptops so I'd not worry about that.

How much are you spending on the laptop? They seem to be around £400 so if you think another 10% is worth it, then go ahead - personally I don't see the point.

Many people here use eBuyer with good results.

spuds 13:22 29 Oct 2006

Why spend £40 extra, when you can take up any issues via consumer laws and the retailer direct!.

bfoc 22:32 29 Oct 2006

Been involved in the purchasing of four Acers and none had any dead pixels and none had a pre-delivery inspection.

Of course dead pixels may still be possible, however as Spuds says there are protections. So, under the Distance Selling Regulations you could return an item within 7 working days, even if the failed pixels fell within the 'accepted tolerances'.

A PDF guide to these regulations for businesses is available at click here

Christopher Lewis 09:49 30 Oct 2006

Thanks all - that's what I hoped to get, some up-to-date comments from recent customers. I've just ordered from eBuyer, and am keeping my fingers crossed.
Christopher

Christopher Lewis 11:31 11 Nov 2006

Machine arrived, no problems encountered so far. Another success for the forums!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?