Since when did zonealarm free start fake warnings?

theDarkness 14:47 17 Sep 2010

I installed 'Zonealarm free' firewall for use on a family computer, and ended up with some very unhappy relations - testing it myself, Ive just found out that (although not often) Zonealarm free occassionally gives a pop up on-screen. It states "you have xxxxx virus" and underneath that they essentially recommend the 'paid for' version to get rid of it.

This is the worst advertising Ive seen to date on the free version to try and get people to upgrade, and since I was installing it on a machine for otheres, will be swapping it with comodo or online armor- Im just hoping they havent started the same marketing style to scare the relations, lol

rdave13 23:25 17 Sep 2010

Ever thought about PC Tools firewall Pro? A good little freebie and reminds me of how Comodo used to be before it became, sadly, bloatware.

morddwyd 07:37 18 Sep 2010

Never had any warning such as this from ZA.

I get "Upgrade Now" offers every month or so, but it never pesters.

Bapou 23:18 23 Sep 2010

I'm another who has never received this warning, only the periodical prompt to upgrade to the full suite.

Have used Zone Alarm free from day one of installing a computer, served me well enough to stay with it.

KremmenUK 06:49 24 Sep 2010

I've just been reading the very same complaint about ZoneAlarm on another forum.

Something to do with the recent Zeus trojan and how ZoneAlarm was being advertised as the only AV to be able to remove it !

Poppycock - Norton has been sorting this one since the 11th August :)

theDarkness 23:33 22 Oct 2010

yes, thats the one. almost malware in itself. im sticking to comodo from now on, not as easy to use as outpost, but its just as good, and my browser is alot faster with it. this is not an ad :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone