What's My Netbook Worth?

Rob Gibson 11:33 10 Aug 2014
Answered

Acer Ferrari One 200 Netbook.

One of my in-laws has asked to buy it from me. Does anyone have an idea of what sort of price I should ask?

It's in very good order, and the battery still holds up well.

Rob.

Forum Editor 14:23 10 Aug 2014

MechKB 2

is right. I would expect to get around £100 for one of these if it's in good condition.

Rob Gibson 16:38 10 Aug 2014
Answer

Thanks for the comments.

It's as new and has W7, so I'll pitch it at the £100 mark with maybe a discount for family!

Rob.

rdave13 19:38 10 Aug 2014

Jock1e , yes it will be interesting.

Two point that would make me not buy it is, a; it's an Acer.

b; tenner for delivery.

HondaMan 09:47 11 Aug 2014

And what,rdave13, is wrong with Acer?

sunnystaines 10:18 11 Aug 2014

netbooks are worthless now they are just too slow, we have a w7 starter samsung dreadfully slow, was used for holidays till we got a smartphone and use tethering to a laptop.

tried to give away on freecycle no takers. now keep purley as a backup device.

everyone that would have bought a netbook back in the day now use an smartphone or one of those touch screen ipad like devices.

mole1944 06:34 12 Aug 2014

They do Jock1e,just that your asked to make the disks when you get the machine,but as usual most people ignore it,i know i had to sort out two friends of mine who never did luckily £30 for HP recovery disk and £30 for a small drive of ebay, now cloned there drive with Acronis so anything goes wrong 5 minute drive change then clone back to there original drive.If you have a Western digital drive on your system (even attached) you can get a cut down version of Acronis for free from their site.

HondaMan 09:55 12 Aug 2014

MechKB2

It is usually just a case of following simple instructions With both our laptops that was the first thing I did. I have never had to use them.

Windows gives you the option of making a system disk at any point. In W7 go to the start menu, type in system repair, the odds are that you may get as far as "syst" before a pop-up appears showing it as an option. Can't help with Win8 or XP or earlier

Forum Editor 23:34 13 Aug 2014

sunnystaines

"netbooks are worthless now they are just too slow"

Really? I have an Acer Aspire One that runs Windows 7 and Microsoft Office perfectly, in addition to several other applications. It handles all my work files, email, and internet research when I'm travelling.

A smart phone is all very well, but nobody would dream of using one for serious work. I have an iPad, and it's superb as far as a bit of surfing and email on the move goes, but for real work give me the Netbook every time.

I can clearly recall the days (1998)when I had a Toshiba Libretto. It wasn't much bigger than a paperback book, yet it ran Windows 98 and MS Office etc. I remember thinking that this was the future of computing on the move. It cost a fortune, was way ahead of its time, had a full qwerty keyboard, and drew admiring glances each time I produced it from my overcoat pocket.

We have moved on - touch screens everywhere, and much higher specs - but if you want to work properly without carrying a full-sized laptop around a Netbook is the perfect answer.

sunnystaines 08:18 14 Aug 2014

fe

perhaps my samsung 110 was just a poor choice, slow to start up and office takes for ever to open up, I enquired with samsung about upgrading the RAM when it was new but it was not upgradable samsung told us upgrading the RAM would make it unstable. also struggles if two or more programes running.

Forum Editor 08:00 15 Aug 2014

sunnystaines

Your netbook was generally well reviewed, although performance isn't going to set the world alight.

I haven't personally heard of any instability problems with RAM upgrades - you can increase to 2Gb of DDR2 PC2-5300/6400 200-pin SODIMM. It might be worth a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?