What Sort Of Video Camera?

Liteman 09:02 27 Jul 2013

I belong to a local camera club. We hold weekly meetings at which visiting speakers often present talks using photographic prints. We have a problem that members at the back of the meeting cannot see the prints properly. We would like to install a video camera that we could use to connect to an existing projector (Canon SX80) without going through a PC and project the image of the print onto a projection screen at the side of the room. The objects to be viewed are a max size of 60cm square and the camera position would be about 5m from the print. Can anyone suggest a suitable camera for this task - it doesn't need to be one with all the bells and whistles that you see in the high street shops, just one that can be switched on (probably mains powered) and left to run for the evening, no need for a preview screen etc.

Woolwell 12:09 27 Jul 2013

I suspect that what you actually want is a document camera wikipedia

Woolwell 12:17 27 Jul 2013

Perhaps something like Amazon. I haven't used one myself. It links through a laptop.

Why don't the speakers scan and make digital copies of their prints and use a PowerPoint presentation?

Liteman 21:07 27 Jul 2013

Thanks Woolwell.

Camera Club photography falls into 2 camps, the first uses projected images which is exactly what it says on the tin, the second is prints which relies on the fact that it is printed on paper to provide the effect that the photographer is seeking and as such, the two camps do not mix. However, as part of a print talk the prints can sometimes be too small (50cm x 40cm) for club members at the back of the room to see and fully appreciate and it would be handy if, as well as the quality of the actual print, the overall picture could also be seen at a larger size. For this reason we want to use our existing ceiling mounted projector in conjunction with a ceiling mounted video/cctv camera to show the prints as they are being discussed. What we don't want to have to do is to include a computer in the system, instead we want to utilise the USB or HDMI connection already in the projector to take the signal straight from the camera and to project the image straight onto a projection screen at the side of the room.

Woolwell 15:11 28 Jul 2013

You could have focus adjusting problems with a ceiling mounted camera.

Liteman 15:13 28 Jul 2013

Why?

Woolwell 17:23 28 Jul 2013

Reaching it and fiddling with it.

Liteman 09:01 08 Sep 2013

Didn't mean to sound so dismissive with my "Why?"; once installed the camera won't be moved, reset or refocused as it will be used to record a fixed point, in other words once its set up initially it won't need to be touched again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone