What is a reasonable lifetime for a small UPS?

PalaeoBill 21:25 05 Feb 2010

I don't mean life in terms of loss of mains, but life as in the working life of the device.

I bought a Trust Power Master PW-4075T UPS in January 2008. Last night we lost the mains supply for less than a minute. The only load plugged into the Trust UPS was a desktop PC base unit (no monitor). The UPS died immediately and now it won't power back up even with the load removed.

I accept it was cheap. I've been out and bought an APC unit to replace it (at twice the cost but my other UPS is an APC and its older than the Trust, and it was fine).

Do I just bin it and put it down to experience or is it worth a letter to Trust?

BRYNIT 00:23 06 Feb 2010

It maybe just the fuse has gone. Either the one in the plug or the one in the unit its self.

Looking at the Manual it looks like the fuse is just at the bottom of where you slot the mains cable into the unit.

The unit did have a 2 years warranty. You could try contacting Trust via click here

Graham. 00:23 06 Feb 2010

Definitely an email to Trust. Although out of warranty, they may be keen to find out what went wrong.

PalaeoBill 12:36 06 Feb 2010

Brynit: No, fuse is fine. Having been plugged in for 24 hours it has come back to life. When you give it a load and switch off the mains the blue light on the front panel flickers for a fraction of a second then the unit dies. It takes a good two hours to recover when you re-connect the mains. I presume the lead acid battery is US.

Brynit & Graham: Cheers, you have given me the impetus to write a letter.

wiz-king 14:08 06 Feb 2010

I find the batteries last about 2 to 3 years in normal use. I check mine every three months or there abouts by giving them a 10min power-cut. Some of the batteries have lasted 5 years but others have failed after a year - I have 12 PC's with UPS's and 2 servers, also have them on the telephone switchboard and the fax machine - what makes you think our local mains supply is a bit iffy. Didn't help last week though the mains failed for 9 hours - 2 out of 3 phases went - just left us with power on one side of the workshop and with a few lights, the rest of the offices and worst of all the tea-room had no power or lights.

Input Overload 09:57 07 Feb 2010

wiz-king, the tea room being out of order was by far the worst part of the day. Did you require medical attention?

I install & service UPS systems & it's usually the batteries that give up first. Giving the batteries a discharge as often as you can prolongs the life significantly, if you like a walk on the wild side that is.

Input Overload 10:06 07 Feb 2010

wiz-king, BTW have you ever considered a backup generator that kicks in during a prolonged power loss or brownout before the UPS loses autonomy?

I am Spartacus 14:04 07 Feb 2010

I think you'll find that discharging the battery is not recommended as it reduces the lifetime.

wiz-king 15:26 07 Feb 2010

Hi, Yes we have but I am in a very conservative and enviromentaly sensitive area and the neighbours would not like it, they even complain about our hydrovane air compressor in its little shed because it sometines starts up at night, and the airconditioning system if its on at night.

Input Overload 15:41 07 Feb 2010

UPS's use lead acid batteries & the life can be lengthened by an occasional discharge.

Input Overload 15:43 07 Feb 2010

wiz-king , OK, much the same as where I live.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?