What is OEM?

laneyxx 20:44 07 Jan 2003
  laneyxx 20:44 07 Jan 2003

Could someone please explain what OEM is. I recently bought a copy of Win. XP from an auction site, it was listed as "Full retail version, Boxed, with manual and stickers" When it arrived it was a CD ROM. in a plastic bag. It has "OEM Product" written on label on bag.

Coaster3 20:47 07 Jan 2003

You should complain to the auction site. OEM means that there is no box, instructions etc. A full retail version should have full instructions and box.

OEM products are usually considerably cheaper than full retail versions.

laneyxx 20:49 07 Jan 2003

Is the product the same? Have I got a full/legal copy of XP

Q-Bie 20:52 07 Jan 2003

OEM Means "Original Equipment Manufacturer"

OEM products are those that are sent out to the manufacturers of computers. An example is a hard drive. You can either buy a "Retail" boxed one which will have a pretty box, manuals and cables, or you can buy an "OEM" one which will be the same product, but in a brown box with nothing else.

With regards to software, most OEM software will say something like "For Sale only with a new PC", I know previous versions of Windows had this labelled on the CD.

rev.bem 20:55 07 Jan 2003

1980s pop group

rev.bem 20:56 07 Jan 2003

sorry that was omd :o)

laneyxx 20:57 07 Jan 2003

REM

laneyxx 20:59 07 Jan 2003

It has got "For Sale only with a new PC", on it. No need to complain then if it`s the same thing?

Q-Bie 21:02 07 Jan 2003

Well I don't know where the software piracy laws stand with regards to selling OEM software standalone. Technically it is the same product though.

Anyone more in the know?

Stuartli 23:07 07 Jan 2003

There are threads on this subject...:-)

However, if you want to buy components, software etc at very much cheaper prices it's the way to go.

You normally get an OEM graphics card, for instance, without the software, drivers etc but these can easily be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

Software can also be bought this way - for example you might buy a DVD-ROM drive and will be able to buy something like PowerDVD for around £4 at the same time. Otherwise you will have to buy the retail version and pay more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?