What laptop for under £750

andy1972 18:46 07 Feb 2007

I want a laptop to use at home (so it doesn't need to be super light) but I would like a decent battery life so I'm not tied to a power point.

I want to be able to surf the web (wireless 802.11g), write letters, emails, store photos (a built in card reader would be great) and watch DVD's.

I'm impatient so would like it to be quite quick (what processor speed / how much RAM do you need for speed?)

Finally, should I go for XP or get the untried Vista (bugs an' all)...

I welcome all your suggestions, many thanks.

wjrt 19:24 07 Feb 2007

click here

spillproof keyboard shock resistant hard drive strengthened casing money back great warranty and vista if you want for about £12 p/p

Jake_027 20:17 07 Feb 2007

Why not this. I bought it from click here and they have excellent service. It has a lower spec processor than the Toshiba above (but still dual core) and has XP Media Centre with a Pay P&P only vista upgrade (cost me £14.14) so you can start with XP then upgrade if you wish. Its pretty light, has a battery of 2-2 1/2 hours, wireless, card reader supporting MMC/SD/MS/XD and MSPro and a DVD RW that writes to all formats and comes with Power DVD to watch DVD's. 120GB HDD, 1GB of Ram, 4 USBs, and you'll still have £200 change-for some extra accessories. I have it and its a great machine, as long as you stop all the Acer software rubbish from putting itself in the System Tray! I'm just kicking myself in the teeth because its gone down £80 since I bought it the beginning of last month!

Great machine though

Jake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017