What has happened to PC Advisor?

SpyMan {:o)){--< 22:10 30 Jan 2006

Well i use PCadvisor to inspire me and help me choose new gadgets/parts for my PC so one evening, having realised i have some money to spend on myself after Christmas has passed, i decided to look on the PCadvisor website to look at the top 10 charts...but they don't seem to be here any more? Why not? To encourage people to buy tha mag instead? If so, fair point.

So...as the newsagent was closed i decided to look on some other websites for a new gaming CRT monitor...preferably a replacement of my Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 230SB...but no one sells them any more...in fact...no one really selss any CRT monitors except from crappy sub £150 ones.

Why not? I really don't like TFT's for gaming...they just don't come close...so do i have to get used to the fact that TFT are here and and CRT's are gone?

rmcqua 22:23 30 Jan 2006

"...they just don't come close..."
Have you tried one of the better recent ones with 4ms refresh time and 700:1 contrast ratio?

wjrt 22:34 30 Jan 2006
  ade.h 22:55 30 Jan 2006

"....so do i have to get used to the fact that TFT are here and and CRT's are gone?"

To an increasing extent, yes. Many of the factories that make CRT internals have had to close in the last couple of years because of the huge popularity - and hugely reduced price - of TFTs. Some of the CRT manufacturers have gone under and many of the companies who were branding and marketing their products at retail have moved entirely to TFTs.

They have not disappeared completely yet; but it is heading that way.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 23:17 30 Jan 2006

Thanks for your replies...

WJRT: the monitor from the link is too small for my use...i have gotten used to a 22" CRT now..

RMCQUA: There aren't many monitors that are similar size to the monitor have 4ms refresh rate and 700:1 contrast ratio, if any at all. And if they do i would probably have to remortgage my house..hee hee.

Mikè 11:29 31 Jan 2006

PC World click here the American version of PCA has quite a few top 5 hardware charts and reviews on there site.

pj123 15:51 31 Jan 2006

I would like a TFT monitor so I spoke to a friend who runs a complete Computer business. He builds, repairs and upgrades computers. Sells computer parts, hard drives, memory, graphics cards, modem cards etc... and monitors (CRT and TFTs)

I asked him if he could do me a good deal on a TFT monitor and he said: "Forget TFT monitors and stick to CRTs"

Does he know something we don't?

amonra 16:16 31 Jan 2006

CRTs can usualy be repaired but TFT are a bin job. If you want a clean, sharp and bright picture there is no contest, the CRT wins every time. I know they get big and bulky after 17 inch but it's worth it for quality if you've got the space,

bremner 19:02 31 Jan 2006

Dixons will cease selling CRT TV's this year, the rest are sure to follow.

It would appear CRT is a dying breed be it TV or as a Monitor.

The fat lady isn't singing just yet but she's on her feet and clearing her throat.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 19:49 31 Jan 2006

lmao @ bremner

u a writer for a newspaper? :o)

I laughed my arse off at your last line

oresome 20:03 31 Jan 2006

I sometimes wonder if it's the consumer who drives these trends or the retailer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?