What does Microsoft define as a "Family"

Peter V2 11:57 25 Nov 2010

I have searched both Microsoft's website, and those of several vendors trying to find the details of how the Windows 7 Family Pack can be used, but cannot find anything beyond the Microsoft statement "Package contains one disc with a license key that can be entered on as many as three machines."

Can it validly be used on any three machines? Do all the PCs have to be in the same house, and owned by the same person or a relative?

Could I validly install one copy on my wife's desktop, one on a laptop owned by our Church and one on a desktop belonging to my daughter who lives 125 miles away?

If there are restrictions, if I upgrade a PC using one of the Family Pack licences, then give it away or sell it, is the licence still valid?

I should be grateful if someone can clarify the licence terms.

GaT7 12:22 25 Nov 2010

Answer to the first part of your query from click here:

"If you are a 'Qualified Family Pack User', you may install one copy of the software marked as 'Family Pack' on three computers in your household for use by people who reside there. Those computers are the 'licensed computers' and are subject to these license terms.

You are a Qualified Family Pack User if you obtained an upgrade license to Windows 7 Home Premium in a product labelled 'Family Pack' on the product packaging and media."

I think that also answers the second part of your query, but if you'd like to further clarify it all, I'd suggest posting your queries in the Microsoft forums. This is the relevant subforum to post in click here. You'll need to be registered & be logged in before posting. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?