what computer spec should I buy

jacjay 09:27 21 Nov 2008

My garage business uses the internet for all invoicing, lookups etc. We have just gone back to BT after having problems with Talktalk being unreliable. We do not seem to be getting the internet speed we should, BT have been doen and checked it out and say their end is fine so I am thinking I should upgrade my computer.
What is the best spec I shopuld be looking for? I'm only interested in running th internet on it not loads of other programmes.

domain 11:04 21 Nov 2008

Hello Jacjay.first you think your requirement.
Look future plan. than take advice expert, or search on net.

Forum Editor 16:34 21 Nov 2008

from the Business forum

Clapton is God 16:44 21 Nov 2008

Your computer spec is nothing to do with your BB speed.

Don't waste your money.

How far are you from the local exchange? If a long way, your speed will be adversely affected.

The Brigadier 17:42 21 Nov 2008

How much do you want to spend £££

donki 18:59 21 Nov 2008

If its just the net you could get a PC for about £400. If you already have a monitor knock £100 of that.

rustyboy 08:50 23 Nov 2008

If it is purely for business and not gaming or video/photo editing then replacing it should not be expensive.
I'd be more interested in why you have issues with your inet speed at present before you look into replacing the whole thing.
As already mentioned your distance from the exchange can make a difference to the line speed and quality.
If your current machine is still connected to the inet pay a visit to this site and run the program.
It will give you a basic idea of how fast your connection speed is.
Im on a connection with BT that states 'upto 8mb' In reality i normally get around 6.9mb on download and 400kbs on upload. This is reasonable for where I am and the distance to my local exhange.

click here

Come back to us once you've checked it and give us an idea as to what your machine has in it

to find the full details hit your start key and type in dxdiag in the start line nad it will bring the info up

carver 09:33 23 Nov 2008

Give us an idea of the spec of your present P/C, it could be that the only problem you may have is a lack of memory.

This could give an impression of lack of Internet speed if your web pages are slow to load.

jacjay 11:32 23 Nov 2008

will try all these things when back at work and post findings thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?