What to buy - PCI Express?.....

Peter-202202 14:43 29 Nov 2004

Am looking at purchasing a new desktop within the next 8 weeks.

What will PCI Express give me now and going forward, as opposed to a to a higher end AGP board based machine?

Your ideas and guidance are most appreciated.

Thanks

P

Urotsukidoji 16:10 30 Nov 2004

what do you want the new pc to do?

Peter-202202 13:20 01 Dec 2004

1. use it for a web based business - accounts, maintaining web page content

2. games

Urotsukidoji 13:51 01 Dec 2004

ok, at the moment pci-express is quite new, it delivers faster graphics performance over some agp 8x cards. some mfrs quote 16x as standard on pci-exress (ie twice as fast minimum over agp)

From hunting arount the nvidia and ati sites are more able to stand up to the rigors of a 64bit pc or thats how i read it anyway - if anyone has a clearer picture please feel free to contradict me.

based on your answer, assuming they are in order of importance, i would stick with the agp cards, an nvidia 6800/ ati x600/800 or 9800, as you will not need the graphics speed pci - express offers

these will set you back a bit (Circa £250+), but they offer the highest level performance an agp card can offer.

if you want to have a "cutting edge" system and "future proof" yourself, look at pci express.

it looks like PCI express will take over, but at the moment it is still a new format, whereas agp has been around for ages, and is an accepted format.

at the end of the day you pays your money and you takes your chance!

HTH

Urot

Peter-202202 15:26 01 Dec 2004

thanks for the advice

gonna make a choice and stick to it.....!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?