what to buy

confusedmum 16:40 08 May 2011

i want to buy a laptop for my son as a surprise birthday present

he will need it for his accountancy course and jobsearch but also has a baby on tghe way so will want good quality photos and a webc am - no doubt in any spare time he will want to play games and download music etc

what should i look for and where are the best deals?

rdave13 18:14 08 May 2011

The stumbling block with laptops is usually playing games. If wanting to play the latest games then the price of laptops can be inhibitive.

Forum Editor 19:24 08 May 2011

Can you give us some idea of a budget?

The market is flooded with laptops, and although there will be a fairly wide choice of machines that will fit the bill we'll need to have a guide price in mind.

A quick tip - the multi-media/games aspect of your specification means that you'll need to spend more than £700. Quite some surprise present, the lucky lad.

confusedmum 17:45 09 May 2011

i have had a look on DEll so was expecting around £700 - yes some surprise but he is 30 and as he has a baby on the way my grandchild nwill obviously take budget priority in future years leaving its Dad to get just the socks! from my point of view games are not the msot important aspect - more interested in photo downloads etc and use for gis proposed accountancy course

Forum Editor 18:29 09 May 2011

In which case.....

You might like to Take a good look at this

It ticks the boxes in that price bracket, but you will need to move quickly - the special price deal has two days to run.

spuds 19:10 09 May 2011

If you do decide on the Dell, then take a print-out of the deal and the closing date for free delivery.

I use to do a number of regular deals with Dell, but my final departure was on a laptop deal that they refused to honour their free delivery, and then wanted me to pay an extra £60.00 for it. A long story, but after three telephone calls from Dell sales offering me delivery for £30.00 'at the managers discretion', I no longer deal with Dell.

Not sure, but is this a for Business or public deal, I did note that VAT had been added?.

Forum Editor 00:24 10 May 2011

Don't be deterred by someone else's bad experience. Dell sells tens of thousands of laptops every day worldwide, and the vast majority of those sales goes without a hitch.

The machine in my link is excellent value for money at its reduced price.

spuds 12:34 10 May 2011

Forum Editor

"Don't be deterred by someone else's bad experience".

Perhaps referring to your comment that might be directed to me?.

I am not trying to deter anyone from doing anything,the final choice is theirs alone, but just pointing out that Dell does have its 'bad experience' sides as well, especially when time limited promotional offers (which your suggestion is) and time limited special discount voucher and time limited coding offers are involved, which I was involved with over a number of previous years.

Best to be forewarned, don't you think?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?