What is the best make of monitor.

thetrickster 19:40 05 Jan 2008

Hi everyone. Just about to splash some cash on a new monitor. I am an avid games player so I wish to go for a 24, 27 or 30" monitor (have the space for all sizes). Now I know Dell do a very good range but at a high price. Am I right in saying Dell are one of the best? Anyway I would like some input on what other companys are best suited to purchase off. The last thing I want to do is spend alot of money and get an inferior product.

thx

rich

PalaeoBill 20:37 05 Jan 2008

I predict you will get a different answer from everyone who responds.
I prefer CRT monitors to LCD and my favourite brand is Iiyama. There is nothing wrong will Dell monitors; many of the machines I work with have them and in terms of both quality and reliability they are fine.
The variation, especially in colour and clarity, between different models of the same brand never mind different brands can be so great you really need to get down to Comet/PC World/... and stand in front of some (Particularly if you are considering LCD as both the viewing angle and pixellation when close up can be a problem).

As you are interested in gaming. Do bear in mind that the refresh rate on the best LCD monitors is still upwards of 10 milliseconds and nearer 30 on the cheaper ones. On a CRT it is negligible. Insist on seeing a fast action game played on the monitor before you spash any cash.

Stuartli 20:57 05 Jan 2008

>>As you are interested in gaming. Do bear in mind that the refresh rate on the best LCD monitors is still upwards of 10 milliseconds and nearer 30 on the cheaper ones>>

Not quite true. Some are down to 2nms.

Dell monitors are (or used to be) re-badged models from major manufacturers; it was usually cheaper to opt for the OEM's equivalents.

Some of its large screen CRT monitors were Sony and Mitsubishi Trinitron/Diamondtron models under the skin.

Stuartli 20:59 05 Jan 2008

See, for instance:

click here

hssutton 21:00 05 Jan 2008

I think you will find that a large number of the better LCDS have a response time of 2.2ms. or even lower

Stuartli 21:01 05 Jan 2008

I always used to hanker after an Eizo but could never afford it, so settled for an iiyama for my first 17in monitor.

See:

click here

for one review of an Eizo.

hssutton 21:17 05 Jan 2008

Now that we're talking silly money this is the one that I want click here

I would really like the 30", but would settle for the 23"

PalaeoBill 21:30 05 Jan 2008

I sit corrected. I didn't think you could get such low refresh rates on the 24inch plus monitors.
My comment on standing infront of one and seeing with his own eyes still stands though.

g0nvs 21:56 05 Jan 2008

My LG TFT 22" widescreen monitor has a refresh rate of 2ms.

sunny staines 12:26 06 Jan 2008

dell and sony are good

LANDCRUISER 16:29 07 Jan 2008

I have a samsung sync-master 225bw lcd that i got quiet recently & am very pleased with it so have a look at one as i believe samsung make great lcd panels as they invest a lot of cash in research

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?