what about Broadband PAYG?

hector 911 14:46 19 Apr 2004

I noticed that metronet are doing PAYG broadband?
At click here

what do you think!

ardvarc 17:32 19 Apr 2004

I have been with them for 2 months now and they are a good reliable fast service. Have yet to have a bill over £14 a month. It pays to purchase a Mailbox @ £8+ per year for a PoP3 account that can be set up in Oulook Express so your mails never get to the web mailbox. You can also get a free firewall if needed. Just like a ordinary ISP PoP3 setup. You have to pay for line activation (2 days in my case) and also a ADSL modem. I bought the USB Speedtouch 330 that was recommended and was up and running in 3 days from order. If you intend to network then go for a Router.

bruno 18:08 19 Apr 2004

I have been with them for 7 months now and have nothing but praise for them.On the two occasions I had to ring them I was treated extremely well and the problems were with my BT installation not theirs.They phoned me back both times after the event to see if I was OK.I did the same as advarc regarding mailbox and modem.Can'tspeak too highly of them.Highest bill so far under £12.50,and I use the internet more than I did my dial-up.Apart from the cost of connection and modem,it has cost me on average about 40 pence per month more than I was paying.

Ranger 18:37 19 Apr 2004

I have to agree with the posters before me, I have been with them from just before Christmas and have also yet to get a bill over £14 and it's just as fast as the prvious provider I was with

Dipso 20:57 19 Apr 2004

Been with them since July last year. Can't fault the service and my bills have never been more than £15.

OK, you have to find the connection fee but I recovered this in 6 months, was paying Virgin £24.99 previously.

Unless you are into heavy downloads, this is the ISP for you.

Even if you have a heavy month and reach the usage cap (note-not limit) the most you pay then is £23.99 + VAT.

hector 911 15:09 21 Apr 2004

thanks for all the replies.
I've since taken this broadband service from metronet, seems what I need, plus their port995 service for e-mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)