WGA

dth 12:46 18 Jul 2006

Is this spyware?

Does sound a bit much getting your p/c to phone MS everyday just so Bill can sleep easy at nights.

SG Atlantis® 13:00 18 Jul 2006

No it's not. It's to help combat piracy... you have nothing to fear, that is if all your software is legit.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:25 18 Jul 2006

click here

If you owned copyright material I'm sure that you would want to ensure that no one was robbing you.

G

spuds 14:26 18 Jul 2006

Some say yes, some say no. That is why a number of court proceedings have been filed against Microsoft in the USA on this issue.

I was reading a media article yesterday, that suggests Microsoft PR company, have stopped releasing statements on the subject. Apparently, they have been issuing varied and different statements previously, that have made the situation more confusing!.

dth 15:54 18 Jul 2006

I think the jury is still out on this one.

I have no problem in an owner trying to protect their material but I think that they need to try and come up with ideas that do not inconvenience their users - or put then to etra cost. I have read through the MS website material on wga and no mention is made of the phoning home MS everyday.

All my software is legit (thank you SG Atlantis) but I do think it a a cheek for MS to put their customers to extra cost (whether in bandwidth or phone) to protect their profits. Plus once installed you cannot use the add/remove option to get rid - so have to use regedit. Again a bit cheeky.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:03 18 Jul 2006

May I ask how much these 'extra' costs are as the bandwidth is usually charged on a fixed monthly fee and the amount of data is very tiny, hardly significant on a capped download or upload....so a rough price per week please.

G

SG Atlantis® 16:14 18 Jul 2006

"All my software is legit (thank you SG Atlantis)"

I was not emplying yours wasn't legit, I was simply pointing out that the honest people like us need not fear WGA.

I applaud anything that forces thieves to pay, and if it means a little program that runs on my system and connects to MS over my BB line then so be it.

ezypcy 16:24 18 Jul 2006

If one takes a penny without permission then he is
still on the take.Without asking or, covertly
changing the rules or tarriff then it is still wrong.

Why doth a poor man constantly bow the the king.
I suppose he know his place.Others fight him.
"The King is dead.Long live the King" .

"Look out ,it's King Google".
"Great no more taxes".

dth 16:42 18 Jul 2006

Thanks everyone for posting - most apprecaited.

I think that this subject is going to run and run - especially with the launch of vista. Or is the wga just a test run to see what MS can get away with on vista. Time will tell.

S G Atalntis - you make a good point and no slight was meant. Gandalf young man - whether it is 10p, 50p or a 1p a week - the amount matters nothing to me as I think MS has an absolute cheek. In the same way if a neighbour was tapping into my internet connection at home I would be just as unhappy.

zincy 23:04 20 Jul 2006

Does this software only check for Microsoft software? Or does ti check for other software too?

spuds 23:12 20 Jul 2006

zincy-- It is suppose to check Microsoft software for being a genuine Microsoft product. But some of the pending court cases filed in America, seem to imply that this program could possibly be more than it seems!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?