Well done. Phones4u.

lisa02 15:19 05 May 2007

I bought a phone last week and the keypad failed and I took it back two days ago.

Upon entering the shop I noticed the price dropped by £40 and mentioned to the chap. He was quite cheeky to me and said "Two choices I'll send it for repair or you can have a new replacement and that the current price was irrelevant".

So I took my replacement, as I was happy enough with that outcome. After thinking about it, a price reduction of 20% in a few days was a bit annoying, so I called their helpline and they're sending me a cheque for the £40 difference.

Their helpline was really helpful, quick to respond and in the UK.

Top marks again as I had a pleasant experience a while back with their website and web team.

spuds 18:53 05 May 2007

Due to the fact the phone was faulty, and failed within 2 days, consumer law was in your favour. The store was wrong, and they should have given you a full refund at your request. If you had asked for a replacement, then they could have done this as a straight swap-out (no price difference).You were not obliged to have the product repaired, on the say so of the store assistant.

In this case, I would have asked for the refund, then purchased at the reduced price, so saving on contacting the Phones4u helpline.

Forum Editor 01:24 06 May 2007

I wanted to buy a new phone for my daughter as a present. She lost her phone,it wasn't insured,she's broke (new mortgage) so I thought I would simply buy her a pay-as-you go model, so she could use the replacement SIM her phone company sent her.

I walked into a Phones4u shop which was packed with people. I chose the phone, but it had a sign saying 'this phone may be in stock, please ask' notice. I looked around, but everyone was busy. I waited. Thirty seconds later a girl came over and said "I spotted you looking for help, but I was dealing with another customer, sorry you had to wait". I said "I don't suppose you know if you have this phone in black?" She didn't hesitate. "Yes, we do, would you like one?"

Five minutes later I was on the street, phone in a bag.

That's the way to run a retail business.

lisa02 15:27 07 May 2007

Spuds it's difficult to refund and re-buy pay as you go phones. In the first purchase you are required to buy a top up of £20, if using cash. If I was to refund and buy another one I'd lose the sim card plus my credit, at the time was about £15 something. On top of which spend another £20 on a top up as I'd be making a new purchase.

lisa02 15:30 07 May 2007

FE did you have to buy a top up?

£10 on card or £20 on cash was my experience, all shops seem to be implementing this.

They claim it's fraud prevention but I do not understand it. What can be fraudulent about buying a PAYG mobile on the high street, what fraud can be carried out?

Forum Editor 16:10 07 May 2007

I paid by card, and yes, I had to buy a £10 top-up, and wait while the salesperson activated the phone.

I said I didn't want the top-up, and got the script answer - 'you have to, it's a fraud prevention measure'. It doesn't prevent fraud in any way as far as I can see, it's simply a way to get the network a tenner.

Totally-braindead 16:14 07 May 2007

FE I have to say that your family do not seem to take care of their mobile phones very well. First your wife and now your daughter, is this a common occurance?

Forum Editor 16:29 07 May 2007

You could be forgiven for thinking so. My wife has had two phones stolen in as many years, and my youngest daughter is, well, let's just say she's a creature of impulse, and tends to leave things all over the place as she jumps up and rushes away to the next social engagement on her list.

It's a standing joke in the family that she needs to carry a checklist of belongings, so she can tick things off before she leaves a house/shop/pub/club etc.

Let's hope this will be the end of it.....for a while.

spuds 17:24 07 May 2007

Would it not have been possible to change the 'old' sim card and number to the new replacement mobile?.

lisa02 19:48 07 May 2007

Don't think so, not doing a refund. If you refund you can't buy it (the sim) back with the new handset. I think if you call the network (o2) they can electronically transfer number and credit but how long that would take??? I don't know.

When I got the replacement new mobile I kept the old sim card.

pavvi 00:41 09 May 2007

...is that the real cost of the phone is very different to the price you actually pay. For example, when CPW charge 34.95 for a handset that usually sells wholesale for £65, it attracts attention from dealers who will sell the phone on on contract for a hefty commission from the network.

The difference between the price and the wholesale price and some profit for the retailer is subsidy from the network. Having subsidised the phone, ther network do not want you to simply put in another network's card without getting anything from you at all.

The reason for the differnce in the amount of topup you have to buy according to how you pay is because when you pay by card, the retailer can track how many phones you have bought so they can prevent phones being biought in bulk by dealers. This defends the subtantial subsidy involved in the pay as you go market.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?