Web-cleaners

NickyK 15:07 04 Jan 2005

Over the last few months, I've been trying various web-cleaners. These things are software that claim to erradicate one's internet exploration.

Here are my results - but please remember that I am expressing a personal opinion, and am not necessarily condemining the product in question.

History Kill - it seemed to be effective, but I have siunce discovered a lot of people who suspect it

Clean Space - I would have loved to try it, but they wouldn't give me a free trial. Fair enough.. It's their product, but I am not going to buy something that I can't test first

Steganos - as with all products from this stable, thourough and reliable

Webroot's Window-washer. A lovely product. Thorough, efficient, user-friendly and almost fun.

Wincleaner/destroy it - Acceptable, but Mcafee fouunfdfiles that this product failed to destroy

Acronis - quite okay, but, as with many of these products, it's probably best to to the upgrade

Ashampoo win-optomiser - Excellent, despite my spelling.

Win speedup 2.52. Loved this. Very user-friendly.

System Security suite 1.04. I am yet to decide about this product.

Mil free internet eraser - it works and is v user-pal.

IE Privacy Keeper. Not sure about this one yet. Somewhat unreliable, but that may be my own fault, not the product's.

Out of all the products I have trialled - and I will keep on trialling because I find it fun - the best, thus far, is Webroot's Window-washer.

Bye,

Nicky

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:40 04 Jan 2005

click here ....there is no other. Does one's computer need to be soooo clean?

G

NickyK 16:26 04 Jan 2005

No. I doubt one's computer does need to be so clean. The only reason I got interested in this stuff was because a friend had very limited space on a very old PC. We solved the problem by getting him a new system.

The reason why I didn't mention cc or any of the other products we all recommend to each other was simply because I was interested in covering non-free products, and thought folks might like to know what I found.

But I do agree. I use cc all the time, and I doubt, unless one is doing something very wrong, that one actually requires super-cleaners. I just found playing with these utilities rather fun.

N

JIM 16:29 04 Jan 2005

In the presences of a real lady whom is greeted with
CCleaner (C--p Cleaner)in the first sentence. What was that saying again by a gentleman held in great esteem by his fellow members.Summit about eyes's?

Good program though. ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?