Warranty Claim on Printer/Scanner from Currys

wherty 17:15 04 Dec 2008

A friend of mine recently had problems with an HP printer/scanner purchased a couple of months ago from Curry’s. He took it back to the store but was told it was not their responsibility and to contact HP. He did this but HP stated that it was Curry’s responsibility. He went back to Curry’s but was informed that their contract was with their distributor (not HP) and HP should fix it.
After a lengthy phone call with HP technical support the problem was resolved but was Curry’s correct in their statement? I was under the impression that my friend had a contract with Curry’s and it was their legal responsibility to repair/replace during the warranty period. Am I wrong

john bunyan 17:25 04 Dec 2008

If the "goods" were faulty , then Currys have a duty under the Sale of Goods Act to replace them or refund the money. However if, as it seems, ther is a software problem that maybe partly due to your friend not setting up the printer or some conflict with other hard or software, then talking to HP and fixing it is sensible. If the printer is faulty and Currys are not cooperative, then a report from a local "expert" to say the goods are faulty, and a call to the local Trading Standards should change their minds as clearly the original contract was between Currys and your friend and who supplied it to Currys is irrelevant.

oldbeefer2 17:28 04 Dec 2008

The seller IS responsible for warranty work under consumer law. They cannot refuse to deal with a faulty item. They should offer to repair the item. If that is not possible they must offer a refund. Too many stores try to take the "it's the manufacturer's responsibility" line. Not true.

oldbeefer2 17:29 04 Dec 2008

Must type faster!

wherty 17:42 04 Dec 2008

Thanks, this is what I thought. You are right the problem was solved by reloading software but Currys did not even ask what the problem was and just stated that HP should be contacted.

oresome 18:19 04 Dec 2008

There can be no dispute that the retailer is responsible for the rectification of faulty goods they have sold.

The problem arises as to whether the goods are faulty and the retailer or the customer are not always in a position to know, particularly when the item is part of a complex system. e.g. A PC and the associated software. For this reason, many manufacturers will not accept products back from retailers, unless the customer has first contacted the manufacturer's service agent who has authorised the return after exploring other possibilities.

The situation used to be that the manufacturer had items returned, most of which weren't faulty, but could no longer be sold as new. This situation puts the price up for everyone eventually, so I think it's reasonable to contact the help desk as a first step.

Once established that the item is at fault, I believe it's then up to the retailer to rectify the situation, not for the customer at his own expense to ship the item to a repair centre for example, as Canon would like you to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?