Warranty argument with supplier

  wal280979 00:32 12 Dec 2006

his is quite long winded and complicated but I'd appreciate opinions on it:
I bought a replacement adapter for my laptop after my OEM broke. It was out of warranty anyway so I took my laptop to the local computer shop who sold me a replacement universal adapter for £59.99. All was fine for about a month until there was a pop and the adapter died, I returned it to the shop who said they'd have a look at it and get back to me.....
About a week later they gave me a ring and said it was definitely broken (Duh) and I'd need to send it back to the manufacturer, not my job I said, my contract is with you, if it needs returning then you do it. There was a big hoo hah because as it was a universal adapter it came with a multitude of interchangeable connectors that I'd thrown away. Makes no difference to me, the equipment was still faulty and I wanted it repaired.
after some pressure from local trading standards they agreed to a warranty replacement......
Now all this took about six weeks and they finally rang me and said th replacement had arrived, all I needed to do was take my laptop in to check the new one was ok and job done....not.
After standing in the shop for half an hour waiting for him to try charge the battery I got fed up. The problem was he wouldn't allow me to take the adapter with me. He claimed he wasn't prepared to let me take it till he knew it worked and if I wanted to leave my laptop there and collect it later then I could. Over the past month and a half dealing with these people I wasn't prepared to let them have my PC so I refused.
The problem is, since this happened I borrowed an OEM adapter that fits my laptop from a friend and it seems my comp is now broken anyway(Either due to the adapter or not).
As far as I'm concerned I paid £59.99 for that adapter and regardless of whether it works with my PC or not I want it back. I've threatened them with the small claims court but to be honest I'm concerned about the technicalities of defending it. My other recourse was to notify the police that they were unlawfully withholding my property.
Cheers All

  HondaMan 08:46 12 Dec 2006

I would suggest you look here, click here. The law presumes that if you buy anything and it fails within the first six months, the fault existed when you bought it and tha it is for the trader to prove otherwise.

Was the trader a reputable supplier, if so, he will not want to risk his reputation, if not her probably couldn't care less.

Whilst the law will be on your side, you are only talking about £60. What you have to ask yourself is this, "Is it worth the hassle?"

  wal280979 10:59 12 Dec 2006

Have quoted the sale of goods act back to front to the guy but he's not interested. Local trading standards agree with me but say ultimately they don't have any powers to wield against him.

  HondaMan 11:40 12 Dec 2006

He has sold goods which were faulty. Your problem is the cost/hassle of pursuing a claim in the small claims court. The cost will be something to take into account, plus the likelihood of getting anything back which is why I posed the earlier questions. Getting judgmet should not be a problem, getting your money might well be nigh on impossible and it may involve court appearances, further applications, more hearings and fees.

Is he a local trader or a branch of a national company.

Forget the police angle. Unless you could PROVE that he intended to defraud you, that doesn't stand a chance. This is on the face of it a civil matter.

  Starfox 11:55 12 Dec 2006

How did you pay for the adaptor in the first place?

  wal280979 12:12 12 Dec 2006

Local trader. Unfortunately I paid by debit card so I can't claim from my card issuer as I would on a credit card.
Just spoke to the chap at trading standards and he says it's not an unreasonable request for the trader to want to check it's compatible with the equipment it'll be used with.
It's not going to be used with anything though as I'm gonna put the laptop on ebay as spares anyway. I bought a new laptop at weekend but I want the adapter cos I payed for it.

  spuds 12:51 12 Dec 2006

I would go along with what the trading standards have told you. The retailer wants to protect their interests as much as yours. Refusing to allow the retailer suggestions would put you in a very sticky situation if you went to court on this matter.

Your attitude expressed by the threads you have posted, seems to suggest that you are only interested in your side of events, instead of listening to a two way conversation. Calm down, have a polite discussion with the retailer, and explain to them as to your intentions.

"I'm gonna put the laptop on ebay as spares anyway". I think that answers the question.

  HondaMan 12:52 12 Dec 2006

I don't think you could claim from your credit card issuer. The limits are £100 - £30,000.

You are back to the points I raised at 08:46.

  wal280979 14:04 12 Dec 2006

Naturally I'm only interested in my side of events. They freely admitted that the unit was faulty.

  Pamy 15:42 12 Dec 2006

Could you not go along to the computer shop and explain that you have sold the computer as was, and that you would accept the adapter as long as they showed you it working on any other compatible machine?

  wal280979 16:00 12 Dec 2006

when I went in I told them I was selling it anyway and it wouldn't be used on my PC. They also said they were happy that the adapter worked as they had a voltmeter on it. The assistant said he wanted the PC to POST before he let me have it. Not sure what this would achieve but eventually I ended up leaving empty handed. It was my only day off and I wasn't prepared to wait there all day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?