Visual Studio Express

118-118 Got Your Number 12:49 02 May 2006

Last November MS realeased free Express versions of VB, VC++ and VC#

Originally they were only going to be free until November this year. But they have now decided that they will always be free.

I feel that MS is beginning to feel threatened by Open Source coders. I mean Open Office (which is free) can definately give MS Office a run for its money. Too late Bill - the Horse has bolted...

Skills 13:18 02 May 2006

Possible yes but I think its more likely that they want the .net framework to take off in a big way so they are offering free versions to get max coverage and encourage people to learn the .net programming languages.

There are many good open source apps out there yes I aggree but what do the majority of corporate users use Windows XP and Office.

I do think they are planning to try and dominate other ares of the market thou, with the windows live care thing, there expression graphics applications and the usual office / OS stuff plus programming apps.

I think they have realised they can no longer sit on there laurels anymore. The world has become alot more tech savvy and users demand alot more from there systems and value for money.

Possible yes but I think its more likely that they want the .net framework to take off in a big way so they are offering free versions to get max coverage and encourage people to learn the .net programming languages.

There are many good open source apps out there yes I aggree but what do the majority of corporate users use Windows XP and Office.

I do think they are planning to try and dominate other ares of the market thou, with the windows live care thing, there expression graphics applications and the usual office / OS stuff plus programming apps.

I think they have realised they can no longer sit on there laurels anymore. The world has become alot more tech savvy and users demand alot more from there systems and value for money.

Dont know what happened there sorry for the double post

118-118 Got Your Number 14:04 02 May 2006

Totally agree with you Skills. I'm still curious to know what MS are going to do with VBA. I have lots of macros for Office and don't particularly want to convert them all by hand to .net if I can help it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017