Vista Upgrade vs. Vista "Full Version"

Fateful Shadow 21:16 23 Jan 2007

I have XP MCE 2005 and my computer can be upgraded to Vista Home Premium, but I was wondering what the difference is in the 2 products stated in the subject (aside from the price!)

Is it that you can only perform a 'clean' install with the Full Version, and the upgrade requires an OS to be installed on the destination drive beforehand?

Thanks =]

GaT7 22:39 23 Jan 2007

You can do both - update or clean install (from click here):

"Update Eligibility

You can upgrade from your current edition of Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 2000 (including Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Media Center, Windows XP Tablet PC, Windows XP Professional x64, Windows 2000) to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista by purchasing and installing this upgrade copy of Windows Vista. Depending on which edition of Windows you are running and the edition of Windows Vista you would like to install, you have two options for the installation process: You can upgrade in-place, which means you can install Windows Vista and retain your applications, files, and settings as they were in your previous edition of Windows or you can do a clean install."

G

Simsy 09:18 24 Jan 2007

I'm open to correction, but I believe that with previous versions you couldn't upgrade with an OEM version, (as OEM is meant for new PCs, ie they wont have a previous OS on), which are full, but you could with a retail full version.

You could do a Full install with an upgrade, but the upgrade process looked for eligibility as part of the process.

Others, better informed than I, will no doubt post and correct me!

Regards,

Simsy

Fateful Shadow 11:29 24 Jan 2007

Thanks for the replies.

So if I was to buy the cheaper option (the Upgrade Version) I could either upgrade or do a clean install (I hope I read that correctly!)

Thanks again =]

Mr Mistoffelees 14:17 24 Jan 2007

I believe if you are doing a clean install, using an upgrade version of Windows, you just need to have your old Windows CD to put in at some stage during the install, to verify your eligibility for the upgrade.

Fateful Shadow 15:58 24 Jan 2007

That would be interesting... Seeing as they stopped shipping WinXP discs out with new systems =/

PaulB2005 16:53 24 Jan 2007

Can you use an Upgrade disk to set up an XP / Vista Dual Boot if you already have XP OEM installed?

Sy1981 11:52 02 Feb 2007

So If I have a full copy of Vista Ultimate I can use it to do an upgrade? I have to do a complete clean install? Or does the full edition of ultimate allow upgrading from an existing registered copy of XP?

Totally-braindead 12:20 02 Feb 2007

There was an intersting thread I was reading where some people were on about the Vista upgrade being different in that you couldn't do a clean install of Vista you had to have the previous operating system installed on your PC before it would install the upgrade.
I think the thread must have been in the Vista Forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?