Visa for India

Mary_S 00:03 03 Jan 2010

Hi there. Has anyone had a visa done for a trip to india recently, and if so how long did it take for them to complete the applicartion. I have a holiday booked for India on the Tuesday 19th January. Im looking to go to the visa office on wednesday to submit my forms. On the site it said it takes min 2-3 days to authorize it. Thats plenty of time right. I've hard some stories about delayed visa's and its making me slighly paranoid.
Thanks.

Forum Editor 12:40 03 Jan 2010

are you visiting?

Mary_S 13:59 03 Jan 2010

Hi,
I will be visiting the vfs office on goswell road in london.
After re-visiting the site today, they have a notice saying applications are taking longer due to high volumes, please allow min 15 days. My tickets are already booked, so im getting very worried now. Im going to have to go tomorow to submit my application, and hope for the best.

Chris the Ancient 14:16 03 Jan 2010

But what I did was download the visa application forms from the Indian High Commission site, fill them in and took them, personally, to their office in London.

It took the best part of the day... I queued at a window at the side of the building to get a ticket, joined a queue inside to have that processed and (I think) get another queue ticket to hand in the paperwork. Hung around for a couple of hours while the passport was processed and then joined a huge conglomerate at a small window to get my passport (and visa) back. OK, it took most of the day with train travel and inordinate hanging around at the High Commission... but I got it all done in 24 hours.

The hanging around, queues, waiting etc. proved to be very good practice for immigration when I got to India!

CtA

Forum Editor 14:27 03 Jan 2010

when I go, and I've found them to be very helpful. Explain your situation - they're used to it - and see what they say.

I hope all will be well.

Forum Editor 14:29 03 Jan 2010

Unfortunately you can't use the High Commission any longer - they've outsourced the visa service to an external agency called VFS global, and you have to deal with them.

Mary_S 14:34 03 Jan 2010

ninja,
i am visiting mumbai and kolkatta.
fe - how long did you wait between submission and visa being issued?

Mary_S 14:44 03 Jan 2010

Btw,
on the form it asks for place of issue (of passport). I've looked online and others have said they have put UKPA same as passport issued by and recieved their visa. Is this correct, or does anyone know what i should put in that.

Forum Editor 16:10 03 Jan 2010

quite a few times, and the time between application and issue has varied. On the last occasion, which was in the early part of last year it took 48 hours.

If your passport was issued in the UK then say so on your application.

Mary_S 17:09 03 Jan 2010

They given me the smallest of two dotted lines, to fit the name, address, and phonenumber for a referee. Dontt they think before they design something.
FE - Thanks, i have put UK down.

Mary_S 13:02 04 Jan 2010

I have just returned from the VFS office on Goswell Road. Lady on counter said my visa should be ready this wednesday which came as a relieft. I mentioned to her on the website it says min days is now 15, she just played it down and said dont worry. So i guess i be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache