virus fu/jack

tonymccullochuk 00:36 28 Apr 2008

I recently purchased an mp4 player for my daughters bithday, its a Sumvision ice 1000 2gb model.
Great machine, plays great good sound and picture quality. The only problem is the device driver disk has a virus on it. It downloaded itself onto her pc and i had a bit of a job getting rid of it.
Unsure and in disbelief that a virus could be on an original driver disk i loaded into my pc which is running vista and has mcafee as its security software, and low and behold 'virus found' win32 fu/jack. I couldnt believe it.
I searched the net for contact details for Sumvision but i would have had better luck finding lord lucan. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them and if yes what did you do about it and what can i do about it?

birdface 11:52 28 Apr 2008

I would imagine that there should be a contact number or an e-mail address with the goods that you purchaced.Maybe contacting them direct might help.

birdface 12:14 28 Apr 2008
  birdface 12:22 28 Apr 2008

Could it be a false positive.Have you tried running any more security programs. Just thought it might be referring to the jack plug that connects to the mp4 player.

tonymccullochuk 16:37 28 Apr 2008

You would imagine there would be contact details with the product and details on the web, but there isnt. Another consumer has posted the same issue on another forum site. As for the false positive, i have checked the disk with AVG on this system and Mcafee on my system and there is a virus. As with all players, you do not have it connected to the computer until the software is installed.

Diemmess 16:47 28 Apr 2008

I'm prepared to be told I'm wrong BUT:

How about intstead of installing it, make a straight copy to a hard disk.
Then find and fix the virus in that copy.
Finally, run installation from the cleansed files?

Of course the AV installation may not allow copying of an infected file anyway but it might be worth a try.

If you use rewritable CDs this might be a good time to try one.

SurgicalSpirit 17:15 28 Apr 2008

AVG is know to give false positives not sure about mcafee but try superantispyware click here

and give that a try

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?