Virtual Village

ventanas 09:51 03 Dec 2008

click here

Just wondered if anyone has dealt with them. They are based in China I think and have something I would like to buy.

Grateful for any input.

rodriguez 20:40 03 Dec 2008

Looking at the site, it wouldn't be my primary choice. Even though it's most likely a legal business, I can't see any type of security. There are no secure https:// addresses and the main things missing are logos at the bottom of the page that show what security measures are in place to protect any card details you put in there. Most online shops have this protection and display the small logos at the bottom of the page to show what protection's in place and I can't see any of this here.

Forum Editor 19:29 04 Dec 2008

and when I clicked on the 'checkout now' button nothing happened.

Otherwise, the site offers a vast range of products, and in its favour it's very upfront about the fact that the business is based in Shanghai. The problem is, you will have no UK consumer law protection if something goes wrong. China realises that it must protect foreign online purchasers if it is to realise the full potential of its online trading capabilities, but it's a slow process. Some 'memoranda of mutual understanding' have been exchanged between the Chinese and Western governments on consumer protection, but there's nothing binding about them.

ventanas 09:13 05 Dec 2008

Hi, thanks for the input. I've just had a go and got two options to pay, one through Google Checkout and one through the sites own method. Both appear to be secure, and there is some sort of PO address in Twickenham, which probably means nothing.
click here is what I'm looking at. At less than £24 it's not much to lose, and the Nikon offering is around £400. What I have no idea about is quality, but I'm not expecting much. I may go for it and take the chance.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires