Virtual PC 2004 verus VMWare workstation

oscar cat 21:15 10 Apr 2004

anybody used this software, any recomendations as to which is most user friendly, using xp pro - celeron 1.7 - 512 ram - 200 gig hard drive

Giant68 08:01 12 Apr 2004

I don't know about Virtual PC 2004 but I have been using VMware for a while now and find it quite straight forward and reasonably user friendly.

Giant68

oscar cat 08:12 12 Apr 2004

Thank you for your observations, i have tried the demo version of vmworkstation but could not get programs like nero to work any experience of this?

Giant68 08:22 12 Apr 2004

Could be just the fact that it is a demo. I run VMWare with WIN98, 2000, Redhat 9.0 and Lindows 4.5 as workstations, handy when someone phones up and wants help with an o/s. Ive found a 98 workstation handy as I have an Archery Scores softwrae package that will not run under XP and my fellow archers will use me for target practice if I do not record their scores and set their handicaps. Set up of a workstation can be a little fiddly and I've found that the version I have will only recognise drives on the primary ide channel. But everything else seems to ok and quite straight forward.

Pauper 11:36 12 Apr 2004

I have tried a demo version of Virtual PC 2004 from the MS site and gave up after it took over 4 hours to load win 98 and similar timescales for other programs. It was so slow at running applications that I could not justify replacing my second pc with it so gave up and took it off. VMware - never tried that one. (This is on a P4 with 768mb ram - win XP Pro)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?