Virgin media package

VNAM75 14:57 27 Jul 2009

I just renegotiated my package to:

TV (freeview channels)
Broadband (10 meg)
Telephone (free weekend calls)

Total per month £22.50. My previous package was same price but without the telephone. How does this compare with BT line packages (Sky, O2 etc)?

xania 15:38 27 Jul 2009

Why are you paying for Freeview?

Broadband I get from Demon for £18 with no-where near the number of reported service breaks mt friends have told me about from Virgin.

Telephone - I pay about £6 a month for unlimited 01, 02, 03 free calls.

I did try the Sky package, but dumped their Broadband after 1 week and now everthing is separate.

The jury is still out.

dagnammit 11:56 28 Jul 2009

£22.50 is good if that includes the line rental for the phone.

VNAM75 20:31 28 Jul 2009

Yes, it does include line rental.

dagnammit 22:37 28 Jul 2009

Then it's a good deal.

BT 07:44 29 Jul 2009

If you want CABLE broadband from Virgin you have to have a TV package.

Cable Broadband is very reliable and as was reported yesterday is the only Broadband that comes anywhere near giving you the speed you pay for. I was originally on 2mbs and got a free upgrade to 10mbs recently,and typically get 8/9mbs.

As for service breaks, they rarely happen. The only one we have had in 4 years was after a nearby lightening strike. A friend on BT Broadband gets problems almost every week.

ol blueeyes 10:43 29 Jul 2009

I have Virgin Cable Broadband and NOTHING else, perhaps that's my problem they over charge me and I only get something over 3mb when I should be getting upto 10mb. The over charge they will not give me a satisfactory answer to.
If I went into Tesco's and bought a Packet of Cornflakes and it was on upto 3/4 full I would complain and get a refund or a replacement. So why don't ISP's do the same.

birdface 16:19 29 Jul 2009

This is the speed test that their engineers use.

What does it give you.If only 3 Mb and you are using a cable connection phone them and tell them that you want an engineer out.
Always better to run the speed test when nothing else is running on the computer.

birdface 16:24 29 Jul 2009

oops. click here

ol blueeyes 11:33 30 Jul 2009

buteman

Thanks have just tested with site you gave am now down to below 3. Will now phone Virgin.
Thanks.

pjwheeldon 12:36 30 Jul 2009

I have phone and 10mb BB only.

Always found speed to be rock solid 9.7 - 9.9mb. Only had half dozen serious service issues in all years since BB began (Diamond Cable, NTL and Virgin)but did lose everything about a month ago for 4 days, and lost service for about 4 hours last week. Overall thought still significantly better than anyone I knwo who is forced to use phoneline BB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017