Vaio Battery - Few questions and best place to buy

nickcroker 11:29 15 Nov 2010

Hi all,
My Vaio battery is now coming to the end of its life so looking for a replacement. Can anyone recommend a reputable online store. My Vaio is a VGN-CR31S meaning I need a silver battery (part number VGP-BPL9S?) to match the casing.
Also, is it basically true, the higher the mAh rating the longer it's life off the mains?
Finally, I read somewhere that Sony has some kind of block that stops me using a non Sony branded battery unless I download a little program and alter the bios? Anyone confirm or deny this?
Thanks very much for any advice.
Nick

GaT7 16:00 15 Nov 2010

You can ask Sony support if they do replacement batteries click here.

Btw, the only two UK websites I could find your replacement battery are at click here (operating from HK though - click here) & eBay UK click here (some of these sellers will be China/HK even though I narrowed down the search to the UK only). All of them say you will need to install the included drivers, but NOT to do any BIOS updates. G

sunnystaines 16:44 15 Nov 2010

we looked for our sony did not want to use ebay which only left sony with very high charges compared to other makes, so rather than be had over just use the mains now.

sony let themselves down badly with rip off prices for parts, as their laptops are good.

nickcroker 22:12 15 Nov 2010

Thanks for the replies!
After a lot of searching and whois investigations (which revealed 99% of the .co.uk sites were registered in China and Hong Kong) I finally tracked down a UK based supplier.
They are click here based in Marlborough, Wiltshire. Called them using their 0800 number. The were very helpful and knowledgeable and I'd recommend them.
Battery cost me around £62 delivered - more than from some suppliers from HK/China but they are only 30 miles from where I live so worth the extra for security and still a lot less than the £110 Sony wanted to charge me!
Hope this helps others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017