Used goods sold as new

arochi 16:29 11 Apr 2005

Hi All,

i am new here, i just want to share my experience with you all. I had read the articles about Dixon Stores Group selling used computers as new.
In my case, its motherboard. On Saturday 9th April, i bought 2 motherboards from SCAN computer in Bolton. When i got back home, i found one of the board were used, ie. thermal paste on the cpu socket, the cables were out of the packaging and twisted.
I rang SCAN, they comfimed that the motherboard was indeed a 'RETURNED' motherboard from a school. I said how can they sold me an 'uesd' motherboard as new to me. They asked me to returned the motherboard to them for a replacement or a refund.
But i said to them that this is their problem, and under the 'Trade and Description Act 1968', they have broken the law. Because i lived in Salford which is over 5 miles away from Bolton, they should get a courier to pick up the board and replaced it.
They refused , but the lady on the phone claiming to be the manager said if i returned to them on Monday they would offer to pay me for the petrol. But guess waht on returning the board to them on Monday, anothet guy said that its not the company policy to offer the petrol for returned goods. And the lady on the phone who claime to be the manager turn ouy to be some lady at the sale desk taken order.
So i said okay, i will report this to the Trading Standard Office about them selling 'use' goods as new. His excuse was, we do test our products every now and then, thats why my motherboard was open and used.

And to rub salt into the wound, i reported the incident to my Salford City Trading Standard Office said, they could take details down and pass on the infromations to Bolton City Council. Its then up to Bolton City concil whether ot mot to prosecute SCAN under the 'Trade and Descriptin Act'.

But i thought all these law were there to protect the consumer and the not the trader who tried to rip us off !! Do we just sit there and take it ??

Arochi

pauldonovan 17:13 11 Apr 2005

...and very bad, but I suspect you have done all you can.

I think if they'd handled it very differently, you'd be telling us all how well they'd recovered from this bad situation, but as it is you are telling us, and probably friends/colleagues not to use them which in theory will also hurt them. Very short-sighted on their part.

I presume you've at least got your money back / a replacement now. I'd put it down to experience and avoid them in future and perhaps check back in with the council in a few weeks to see if they've done anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?