USB2

Bingalau 19:32 13 Aug 2006

My USB2 ports seem to have given up the ghost. Where is the best place to purchase a new set and would I be able to fit it myself? ..Bingalau..

SG Atlantis® 19:34 13 Aug 2006

Is this a card?

click here

Yes you can, it's a simple procedure.

De Marcus™ 19:38 13 Aug 2006
  Bingalau 20:56 13 Aug 2006

SG Atlantis and De marcus.. Every time I go to send a reply I get no movement at all from this window.. I have typed out two answers to thank you and both have just sat here looking at me ,,Bingalau..

Bingalau 21:14 13 Aug 2006

Thanks for your replies. Sorry about the above but every time I went to send nothing happened. Two rather long screeds are lost in the ether somewhere. No! not long enough to exceed the character limit. Anyway, on the back of my "Targa" computer there seems to be a group of USB2 ports arranged in a row of three and below them is another row of two with a different type of port to make up the threesome. Is there a simple way of testing these ports before I delve into the bowels of the machine? Thanks for the instruction sheet, I have a feeling it will come in handy. ..Bingalau..

De Marcus™ 21:50 13 Aug 2006

Have you tried uninstalling the usb via device manager?

How are you certain they are dead?

Bingalau 22:08 13 Aug 2006

De Marcus .. Yes I tried to do all sorts of weird things when I was trying to get back on line. whether I did it the correct way is another matter. That's what I am not sure of. I just know that none of the ports seemed capable of getting my modem working again. That is why I asked Is there a simple way of testing them before I delve deeper? ..Bingalau..

Totally-braindead 22:55 13 Aug 2006

I know this sounds strange but it may work. Switch off your PC and disconnect it from the wall, or at least switch it off at the wall so it cannot start. Then press the power on button on the front of your PC in for at least 30 seconds.
Then switch back on at the wall and try the PC again and see what happens. Its a way of getting the USB to restart and it may work, it has in many cases.

Bingalau 09:39 14 Aug 2006

Thanks for your tip which I will try a bit later this morning. Sorry for the delay in answering your input, but I went to bed earlier than normal last night and only got onto your suggestion this morning. I will let you know how your suggestion turns out. Meanwhile thanks for the effort ..Bingalau..

Bingalau 10:46 14 Aug 2006

Hey!!! I think that's done the trick because after switching back on again I plugged my headphones in and I am getting the normal sounds made by the computer. So tonight I will switch my modem back over to one of the rear ones again. I think I will switch off at the wall first to be more safe than sorry. By the way when I was trying out your suggestion I noticed that although I had unplugged from the wall socket, there was still a little green light burning away inside near the base of the machine. Is that normal? Anyway I shall not have to delve into it now, I hope. Many thanks again to all of you out there ..Bingalau..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?