USB Powered CDRW

SPW 14:09 24 Feb 2003

Anyone seen a USB Powered external CDRW?

Lú-tzé 16:39 24 Feb 2003

No.. (and a bump).

I don't know that usb could provide sufficient power for a CD-RW but am open to contradiction.

BRYNIT 00:09 25 Feb 2003

Pcworld web page have 2-3 usb2 CDRW

lacker 01:01 25 Feb 2003

Freecom make an excellent USB DVD/CD-RW player,speak from first hand experience as I use one with my laptop.

Lú-tzé 08:48 25 Feb 2003

BRYNIT & lacker - I stand corrected. I did not know that it were possible to get sufficient power from a USB port to operate a CD-RW drive. For some reason I always believed that they would need a separate power supply. Thanks for the correction.

ADH 10:44 25 Feb 2003

USB-powered CDRW's are pretty new - certainly not many months ago, drives demanded more power than USB could supply. Glad to hear this is changing!

wee eddie 10:44 25 Feb 2003

they're USB powered. Lú-tzé you're probably right.

I have been looking at External CD/R(/RW) drives that have more than just USB connection. USB/Firewire is the widest combination I have found, so far.

SPW 11:15 25 Feb 2003

Thanks but the only ones I can find on PC World and freecoms site are just usb, you still need an external power pack (A/C adaptor).

USB Powered is when the drive gets its power via the usb cable, so you only have one cable to trip over.=)

wee eddie 15:30 25 Feb 2003

This will do what you want. I think!

I know that when I bought my new ZIP 100 Drive I had the Choice of Mains, or USB Powered. I am assuming that the newer drives have the USB powered function as well.

wotan 22:37 15 Mar 2003

Wee Eddie,
Sorry but I have the Iomega zip 750, and a good piece of kit it is too, but it is powered from a mains lead, the u.s.b. connection is for data transfer only. This is definate as I do not have it plugged in at all times and have attempted to use it whilst the mains lead is not plugged in (not clever , I know) only to be told source was not available until I plugged power lead in.
Wotan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?