usb pen drives - handy but another option avail!

georgemac 16:45 12 Mar 2004

was really fancying one of these, to move files from my PC to my sons pc as I don't have the network cable run yet.

Then it dawned on me - I have 3 64 mb smartmedia cards for my digital camera (2 mp fuji which I hardly use) and a usb card reader - so I tried this and it worked - saved me buying a pen drive!

Will be very handy for when I download avg updates etc, will save me downloading twice.

when I was looking the best prices for pen drives seemed to be crucial, 128 mb was £25 and 256 mb was £43 appx.

mole44 17:08 12 Mar 2004

i twigged using them a couple of years ago,mind you i stil have a couple of pen drives

georgemac 18:41 12 Mar 2004

but never twigged I could do this with it - would have been very handy when I've been repairing friends pc's for moving drivers etc from my pc to theirs instead of burning to cd!

Sometimes I feel a right twit!

mole44 08:35 13 Mar 2004

don`t feel bad,its just i`ve been taught lateral thinking from my days with special forces.nobody stupid just that they don`t know the answers.

Stuartli 09:05 13 Mar 2004

This use has already been pointed out in the forums - I use my Secure Digital and MultiMedia Cards for this purpose combined with a 7 in 1 card reader.

You can also buy an internal card reader (same dimensions as a floppy drive and fits in the second bay) which can be used with, for instance, a Compact Flash card and adaptor.

My mate uses this method to back up his office system (documents etc) with a 128MB card and takes it home each night.

Stuartli 09:10 13 Mar 2004

Here's one thread:

click here

georgemac 09:56 13 Mar 2004

for the comments, just wish I had seen the earlier threads or thought about doing this earlier.

A friend bought a new pc without a floppy and was unsure how to burn cd's - this would be an ideal soloution for them.

2020 13:00 13 Mar 2004

hi this is exactly the issue i loged on to ask about...is this potion better than buying the pc-pc link cable?
many thanks

This is what I use (Sandisk Cruser)click here & it is great. Dont think they are available new now but they are available on ebay pretty cheaply.

Well recommended.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?