Upgrade Questions - Where to go?

croccers 11:46 06 Dec 2014

Hello

I'm looking for some general upgrade advice and wondered where people would go next with my build. I've been pretty happy with performance yet recently started to notice some slight drops in games such as Far Cry 4 and would like to increase performance. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 RAM

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z87X-UD3H-CF Motherboard

3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (MSI)

223GB Corsair Force LS SSD (SSD)

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)

I'm considering buying another 780GTX for SLI, or alternatively a 980GTX instead? It makes sense to me to finally make the jump to 4k gaming, of course this would also require a 4k monitor but what hardware upgrades would I need? Any general advice on where I would go next would be much appreciated.

rdave13 17:37 06 Dec 2014

That's a pretty competent gaming rig. Do you do the usual maintenance such as trimming manually every so often and running Ccleaner? Disabling hibernation, lowering prefetch, search etc.

croccers 19:25 06 Dec 2014

Yeah I try to keep the system clean, normally when I notice any sort of significant slow down I will do a complete reset to keep things clean.

I may be being a little nitpicky in terms of game performance but would still like to make that jump to 4k gaming.

nickf 12:52 07 Dec 2014

A single GTX 980 will run 4k with comfortable ease , my GTX 970 does it on low/medium settings with frame rates around 35-40 . If you decide to go SLi you may need to upgrade your PSU .

croccers 12:55 07 Dec 2014

Yeah the GTX 980 looks good, alternatively would another 780 gtx in SLI do the job? Would the processor need an upgrade?

nickf 19:47 07 Dec 2014

if you put another GTX780 in , you will most certainly need to upgrade the PSU . Your CPU is absolutely fine , and will be for quite sometime . This looks like quite a good price for a GTX980 click here . Also you may find it quite hard to find a GTX780 anywhere ( managed to find an MSI one at Aria , but that was about it )Also you could go the route to a 2560 x 1440 monitor , that seems the sweet spot at the moment , and my GTX 970 FTW from eVGA copes with that easily , and only costs £300 . There are some really good 1440 monitors out there ( ROG Swift springs to mind ) . Hope this is of help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?