Upgrade My Pc Or Buy A New One ?

Acer-1 14:51 06 Oct 2006

Hi have had my pc for 11 months now i brought it without sitting down and thinking what i need the pc to have so anyhow i ended up with a 2.8 Celeron D Proccessor not much good if you want to play pc games like me.

I don't play many games but one is coming out soon called Might and Magic Dark Messiah which i have played a demo of and its really good. Anyway i tryed the demo on my pc and it runs ok although slows down a bit when it gets to fighting and sometimes it freezes the computer, my specs are...

Intel Celeron D 335 (2.8Ghz)
80Gb/7200RPM
768MB DDR RAM
ATI RADEON 9550 256MB

Anyhow i was thinking maybe if i get a better graphics card and some more ram then maybe it would run the game better ?

Or do you rekon i should just buy a new pc ? if so could you recommend where to buy and what to get ? i mean amd or intel and which graphics card ? i have a budget of about £300 actually i could probably spend £400 but really cheaper the better.

Thanks.

def90csw 15:16 06 Oct 2006

Dell are doing some good bargains at the moment on their AMD promotion.

freaky 16:27 06 Oct 2006

You game would run better with more RAM, but I cannot comment on your graphics card.

Your basic problem is your Celeron processor, this is not really suitable for game play.

You therefore have 2 choices: -

a)Buy a new PC.

b)Upgrade your Processor, but this would depend on your Motherboard.

I suggest you contact a local PC company and ask them if your PC can be suitably modified. Once you know if this is possible, and the cost, then you can decide which choice is the best.

Diodorus Siculus 16:35 06 Oct 2006

Try a motherboard bundle from, for example, Motherboard Bundles : Computer Supplies from Novatech
click here and use the rest of your peripherals. Maybe a new graphics card too.

Acer-1 16:41 06 Oct 2006

So if i brought for example this click here
Bundle then it would work in my pc ? surely though i would have to buy a new power supply unit as well ? mines only 200watts at the moment.

Diodorus Siculus 16:59 06 Oct 2006

You will also need a decent PSU - about 450w as a minimum I'd suggest.

Depends too on the case but if you have a standard case you should be ok with that.

Acer-1 17:05 06 Oct 2006

cheers thats a great help :)

Bailey08787 17:16 06 Oct 2006

As you need new psu, cpu, gpu & ram - you may be better off going for a new pc

at least that means you get an extra hard drive and a brand-spanking new tft flatscreen.

I used savastore.com (and then select the aries section) to configure my pc - great for selecting the components you want and creating your own bespoke pc

i saved money this way as I didn't need to get a new copy of windows, or keyboard, mouse, soundcard, memory, etc, all of which I already had

click here

(and they do interest free finance)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?