Update virus definitions - XP limited user account

JulieR 13:30 08 Jan 2004

Is there an antivirus program which will allow the automatic updates, particularly of virus definitions, to run whilst I am logged on to a "limited" account on XP?

I run XP with a limited account for everyday use by the family and a password protected administrator account which I reserve for installing software, etc. (Keeps the children from installing games!) I have tried both Norton AV and McCafee VirusScan but find that the automatic update facility doesn't work properly unless I log on as an administrator, hence my AV definitions are not always right up to date. I need to subscribe for another year of updates, so this may be a good time for a change if anyone can recommend something that will do what I need.

Many thanks in advance.

johnnyrocker 13:46 08 Jan 2004

click here for a free avg to european users,can be configured to auto update

johnny.

Big Elf 13:47 08 Jan 2004

I don't know whether this would work:

Grisoft AVG Free edition from click here but as it's free you could experiment. You have to uninstall your current AV first (I think).

Jester2K 13:54 08 Jan 2004

AVG does auto update under Limited Account - just tried it theres anew update dated the 8th !!!

terminus 15:00 08 Jan 2004

Try Avast no need to configure the updates usually two at least a week click here and it's free also.

terminus 17:08 08 Jan 2004

It occured to me you may also want a firewall?
Avast have a remarkabley low cost system designed to work with the kerio firewall click here
It's free for home use and passes all the same tests Zone Alarm does.

I used ZoneAlarm on another PC but this one?? for some reason just wont accept it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?